E7300 OC & RAM

cbender

so here are my system specs

Processor E7300 (Which I want to overclock)

EVGA 780i Motherboard

2 GB OF CORSAIR 800 mhz 5-5-5-18 memory

pc power and cooling 750 psu

EVGA 9800 gtx

Now I'm wondering if a RAM upgrade will change my overclocking ability or change the performance for the better. Or if I could do anything else?

I was told in another post I will be using the computer to play counter-strike source and I want to get the most performance because I have a q6600 and a E7300, I was told E7300 because its a older game and it will run better on it with an overclock.

All comments & Answers will be much appreciated

Thanks

so here are my system specs

Processor E7300 (Which I want to overclock)

EVGA 780i Motherboard

2 GB OF CORSAIR 800 mhz 5-5-5-18 memory

pc power and cooling 750 psu

EVGA 9800 gtx

Now I'm wondering if a RAM upgrade will change my overclocking ability or change the performance for the better. Or if I could do anything else?

I was told in another post I will be using the computer to play counter-strike source and I want to get the most performance because I have a q6600 and a E7300, I was told E7300 because its a older game and it will run better on it with an overclock.

All comments & Answers will be much appreciated

Thanks

you would definitely have a more relaxing OC experience with 1066mhz memory (and I'd recommend 4GBs of it in two 2GB sticks ;)). Then again, I remember my old nvidia boards let you run the ram and cpu unlinked so I guess you could do that too, though I don't know if that's as good as linked (but it could get you started until the new ram arrives)

will timings change the gameplay feel, and is 1066mhz supported for the 780i board, I thought it was 1200 mhz or something like that.

well it may support than but you probably wont even need over 1066mhz since you'd only be getting it for headroom over 800mhz. (my sticks only run at like 1000mhz)

• 2 months later...

I also have a E7300, and I have 1066MHz Corsair Dominator RAM. I used to have the Corsair 800MHz DHX C4. I get the same overclocking results out of my CPU with the 1006MHz kit. The 800MHz could easily run up to 450MHz without becoming unstable. So I think it wont be nessesary to get 1066MHz purely if you want a higher overclock. Say for instance your 800MHz kit can run up to 440MHz (880MHz effective) this will mean that your CPU will run at 4400MHz (440 x 10). And as far as I know a E7300 wont go that high with air cooling, or even water cooling, and therefore you wont be needing the 1066MHz kit that can run at 533MHz (533 x 10 = 5330MHz :P ) BTW my 1066MHz kit can only run up to 485MHz ( 970MHz effective ) stably with a 1:1 divider

Edited by QuantumX