Motherboard temps 50 idle

WReXSTi

well I'll put the basics in here for you in a manuel form just no PICS.

Safty note's: While disasembling any kind of computer component make certain that you are grounded from static discharge. while you are aware of that also be carful when handleing the board as it could cause damage if Jared, shocked, or mishandled. Ensure that before and after applying the tim, Don't just check, Wash your hands before and after handling anything with a Thermal interface material whereas you could short your board in extream senarios. make certain that you clean the chips and contact points well and use a solvent, such as denatured alchohol, to clean surfaces and not leave a film behind.

Tools needed: Short Phillips head screw driver, Long phillips head screw driver, small needle nose pliers, TIM, Static free towel, Solvent for cleaning, something to set coponents on, a well lite room, work bench.

i: I am assuming the case will be unplugged and the PSU drained beforehand.

1: Install static free gound strap or touch the side of the case while handling components inside the case

2: carfully pull all componets attached to motherboard with the motherboard from the case. detach all componets and set them on a static free pad.

3: removed the screws individually from the mainboard. pay attention to what screws go where and remove the mainboard.

4: this is up to you but for cleaning and security purposes I would remove the Proc and set it in its factory case. (the ones for the I7 are nice)

5: either nuts and bolts or plastic rivits are holding the Motherboard Chipset-northbridge-mosfet-Pwm cooler or coolers. If they are nuts and bolts loosen them one at a time about 1/4 - 1/2 turn at once. this will allow for the least chance of bending the chipset cooler heatpipe assesembly and A migrain headach at 3 a.m.

6: If it need apply that plastic rivits are in place. Place the mainboard in your hand, carfully take the needle nose pliers and squeeze lightly on the holding tab side. the usual holding tab had two large sides and two small on the bottom that are like a rivit. squeeze on the large ends. (I like to place the motherboad between my legs agains the pci slots for this one, be mindfull of the motherboard pins though) and carefully exract the white holding rivit. Do this for all the rivits and as always do not pull or grasp the chipset cooler or you could very well bend it.

7: now that its loose carefully remove it from the chipset's, nb, and mosfets. If it doesn't want to come off easily take a hair drier on medium to the up side of the chipset cooler and heat is slowly till its warm, but not hot, to the touch.

8: once you have removed the chipset cooler then clean each individual contact point on the chipset cooler and the mainboard with the static free cloth and the denatured alcohol.

9: apply the tim in small amounts over the NB, SB, Mosfets, and any other contact points it should have and spread it over the chips so not to get any excess tim on critical conductors. My personal preferance for the Mosfets is the stuff that came from the factory. I.E. Stick em pads. this way I know they will not have an issue getting contact or conductivity. but for the NB, SB, I like AS5.

10: Test fit. without installing the Mosfet Pads place the cooler ,without secureing it with the rivits or screws, in its original position. lightly press down on the chipset cooler and if the tim is making contact with everything then you are clear to install the tim or pads on the mosfets and reassemble.

11: If thats not the case and the chipset cooler is slightly Tweaked then Don't panic. This can be rectified. The Heatpipes are slightly bendable so carfully align the cooler so its completly flat. retest. rinse and repeat as necc.

12: reinstall all nuts, bolts, componets ect and boot up.

13: to check and make sure the job was done right before you get too far enter the bios set-up first and check your work. this way if there is a problem you can catch it before you put a load on it and fry it. (just a "fix First Time" double check)

14: Benchmark it. Now I need to do this to my Asus Board. Shall return.

Hope this helps. Boinker

Edited by boinker

didn't mean to scare you. I Just want to help. Can you install a Water cooling block on your chipset?

I went ahead and took a look at your motherboard on the net. the guide I made right there is pretty generic. BUT. I belive a couple of companies out there make aftermarket thermal solutions for that chipset. A little measuring and a bit of searching and Im sure you could have all copper setup even all water chipset cooling set-up. I would look around.

P.S. that one is going to be an easy chipset to redo the TIM. if I were you I would do it and search for a copper NB cooler for it.

Edited by boinker

didn't mean to scare you. I Just want to help. Can you install a Water cooling block on your chipset?

lol and I appreciate that. And I can't because I just ordered an air cooler and water cooling would be expensive. Would the dual fan configuration on the U12P SE1366 allow my chipset to be cooler if I have one fan pulling air from the chipset, to the noctua, then the other fan pushing out the air through the top of the tempest? Would that do anything?

increase the movement of air in the case.... But i belive the hot one is the Northbridge and to cool that One I think you would need a more direct approach such as a NB cooler with a fan... they run about 20-30 bucks depending what you get... Like maybe this one will do for the NB.

Enzotech

increase the movement of air in the case.... But i belive the hot one is the Northbridge and to cool that One I think you would need a more direct approach such as a NB cooler with a fan... they run about 20-30 bucks depending what you get... Like maybe this one will do for the NB.

Enzotech

will that work with an x58 chipset? also, is there anything cheaper? I just bought a Noctua and im kinda short on money...

sure. Go to Newegg.com Frozencpu.com. One thing you could Try. (being you have experience lapping) would be to lap all the coolers bottoms and strip all the anodizing off them and use tim instead of the TIP's (thermal interface pads) It would work help a bit.

sure. Go to Newegg.com Frozencpu.com. One thing you could Try. (being you have experience lapping) would be to lap all the coolers bottoms and strip all the anodizing off them and use tim instead of the TIP's (thermal interface pads) It would work help a bit.

I never lapped anything before... lol I'll look around to see if I find anything. Also, how do I know if the cooler with fit on a X58 chipset? will it be specified?