My Weekends Work

JifDaKiwi

So I recently picked up a GigaByte GA-EP45-UD3LR and an ASUS Lion Square cooler, so decided to see what my E5200 would do (keep in mind this is my first overclocking attempt since back when I had an Athlon 1800XP doing 2.2Ghz).

Ran out of day to keep pushing, but ended up with 3.66Ghz (11 x 333) @ 1.25V, 44c idle, 55c max load.

Also decided my 512MB ATI 3850 needed a push, and got it to 770Mhz core and 1117Mhz Mem (up from 668/828). Only reason I didn't go any higher is that is as far as the sliders in the ATI Catalyst Control Centre go. Gonna get AMD GPU Clock Tool and Riva Tuner tonight and see how far it goes.

46% CPU and 15% / 34% GPU overclock isn't too bad for a days work. Haven't had a chance to do a full Prime95 on it, but ran 10 minute tests to make sure there were no obvious errors happening.

Anything else I should be trying to get more out of my components?

So I recently picked up a GigaByte GA-EP45-UD3LR and an ASUS Lion Square cooler, so decided to see what my E5200 would do (keep in mind this is my first overclocking attempt since back when I had an Athlon 1800XP doing 2.2Ghz).

Ran out of day to keep pushing, but ended up with 3.66Ghz (11 x 333) @ 1.25V, 44c idle, 55c max load.

Also decided my 512MB ATI 3850 needed a push, and got it to 770Mhz core and 1117Mhz Mem (up from 668/828). Only reason I didn't go any higher is that is as far as the sliders in the ATI Catalyst Control Centre go. Gonna get AMD GPU Clock Tool and Riva Tuner tonight and see how far it goes.

46% CPU and 15% / 34% GPU overclock isn't too bad for a days work. Haven't had a chance to do a full Prime95 on it, but ran 10 minute tests to make sure there were no obvious errors happening.

Welcome to OCC!!

Good job so far!!! Definitely try to go higher (if possible) with RivaTuner, and I've found the only good GPU OC test is to play a real game/games (as I'm unsure what method you have for your 3850 stability testing). Is that as far as you could go with the CPU, I'd imagine it's going to be rougher on the road ahead :D

Edited by IVIYTH0S

Make sure you test that properly, i was able to put a really high overclock on my old graphics card which was fine in windows. But when i tried far cry it artifacted like nuts and gave crazy colours on the Blue screen of death as well (which i'm told is a sign of the memory being seriously too hot) So maybe set the OC to half that and test and then if it is fine (and temps are ok as well) then put it a bit further.

Welcome to OCC!!

Good job so far!!! Definitely try to go higher (if possible) with RivaTuner, and I've found the only good GPU OC test is to play a real game/games (as I'm unsure what method you have for your 3850 stability testing). Is that as far as you could go with the CPU, I'd imagine it's going to be rougher on the road ahead :D

Make sure you test that properly, i was able to put a really high overclock on my old graphics card which was fine in windows. But when i tried far cry it artifacted like nuts and gave crazy colours on the Blue screen of death as well (which i'm told is a sign of the memory being seriously too hot) So maybe set the OC to half that and test and then if it is fine (and temps are ok as well) then put it a bit further.

Yeah, I figured that one out pretty quick, played the Crysis demo (for the first time ever - man it's sweet :-) ) and got about half an hour into it before the whole screen descended into a blur of multi-coloured triangles of fun. Now got the GPU running at 750 and the vram hovering around 1000 - all seems sweet. I tried AMDGpuTool, and Im not sure if it's just Win7-64, but every time I adjusted the numbers and hit apply, they would just default back. I tried Rivatuner, and something equally as funky happened, so Ill just stick with the CCC Overdrive for the time being.

Also took out the case fan that was sitting just between the CPU cooler and the back of the case (mostly because it was so freaking noisy), and now the chip idles at 36c. Easy:-) Ill have a play over the weekend and see if I can crack 4Ghz. Its good to be back :-)

Yeah, I figured that one out pretty quick, played the Crysis demo (for the first time ever - man it's sweet :-) ) and got about half an hour into it before the whole screen descended into a blur of multi-coloured triangles of fun. Now got the GPU running at 750 and the vram hovering around 1000 - all seems sweet. I tried AMDGpuTool, and Im not sure if it's just Win7-64, but every time I adjusted the numbers and hit apply, they would just default back. I tried Rivatuner, and something equally as funky happened, so Ill just stick with the CCC Overdrive for the time being.

Also took out the case fan that was sitting just between the CPU cooler and the back of the case (mostly because it was so freaking noisy), and now the chip idles at 36c. Easy:-) Ill have a play over the weekend and see if I can crack 4Ghz. Its good to be back :-)

try reinstalling your drivers and run GPU-Z to make sure your overclock settings are actually sticking.

try reinstalling your drivers and run GPU-Z to make sure your overclock settings are actually sticking.

I did try that - uninstalled the whole ATI suite and downloaded the latest 64-bit Catalysts and no joy. It seems that the CCC Overclock carry-on is much like the Intel Speedstep thing - sticks at a low speed until a load comes along - it's definately working though - 3d Mark Vantage always showed an improvement as i ramped up the settings. Im pretty sure that the issues will be a 64-bit / Windows 7 thing. No fuss though, it's ok for the time being, and Ill probably look at a 4870 1GB card in the not too distant future :-)

I did try that - uninstalled the whole ATI suite and downloaded the latest 64-bit Catalysts and no joy. It seems that the CCC Overclock carry-on is much like the Intel Speedstep thing - sticks at a low speed until a load comes along - it's definately working though - 3d Mark Vantage always showed an improvement as i ramped up the settings. Im pretty sure that the issues will be a 64-bit / Windows 7 thing. No fuss though, it's ok for the time being, and Ill probably look at a 4870 1GB card in the not too distant future :-)

oh cool, and yeah GPU-Z will show your OC's even if the graphics card is running in power save mode

• 10 months later...

Hi, im new here, and i want to put mine e5200 like yours 3.66ghz, could you tell me more information about your oc? thx!

Hi, im new here, and i want to put mine e5200 like yours 3.66ghz, could you tell me more information about your oc? thx!

12. Do not dig up old threads! If you want to continue a discussion from an old thread (older than 2-3 months), create a new thread and reference the old one in your opening post if necessary. There is very little reason to dig up an old thread.