Need Help Overclocking AMD Phenom II X4 940

faint545

Hey guys, I've been building PCs for a few years now and just recently did I become some what interested in overclocking. I've been trying to overclock the FSB on my AMD Phenom II and so far, I haven't been able to get past ~330MHz from 200MHz. Here are the main specs...

Gigabyte MA790X-UD4P

AMD Phenom II X4 940

4x 2GB G.Skill DDR2800 RAM

I have a Corsair H50 cooler for the CPU which is adequate cooling along with an Antec 1200 case. Am I doing something wrong here? When I set the bus speed to above ~330MHz, BIOS resets the changes that I have made to default and gives me an error saying I should lower the bus speed. When I increased the bus speed, I lowered the CPU multiplier to keep the CPU frequency at 3.0GHz.

My goal is to match the FSB speed with the DRAM speed to get a 1:1 ratio between the two.

Edited by faint545

330mhz at the stock multiplier is 4.9ghz, your house would probably catch on fire.

you would have to lower the multiplier to 9 to get 3.0ghz.

stock your CPU comes at 3.0ghz...

to get a 1:1 ratio you probably would underclock your RAM

don't underclock your RAM...

why do you feel you need a 1:1 ratio? just out of curiosity?

330mhz at the stock multiplier is 4.9ghz, your house would probably catch on fire.

you would have to lower the multiplier to 9 to get 3.0ghz.

stock your CPU comes at 3.0ghz...

Well I did lower the multiplier (to 7.5) when I raised the FSB to keep it at 3.0GHz.

why do you feel you need a 1:1 ratio? just out of curiosity?

I figured if my RAM modules are running at 400MHz each side and my CPU is running at 200MHz, the CPU would cause a bottleneck. So doubling the FSB would give me a 1:1 ratio possibly eliminating a bottleneck, even if I don't see a difference in performance.

• 4 weeks later...
The 940 has an unlocked multiplier fyi.

Hi every one, i only just started my o\c 6 days ago after about a month or so of reading (which i don't normaly do lol) forums and reviews on the subject and the odd o\c guide as well as videos on overclocking, in other words n00bie lol:)

I have to use Cntrl F1 to get my multipliers and o\c settings in bios ect...I am using the stock multiplyer x15 and FSB of 234 with ram @ x3.33 = 667 @ 800mhz i think thats correct...

Sporting the Phenom II x4 940BE (balck edition) on my AM2 (bios flashed to accept AM2+) m\b and have gotten so far with my O\C and now get this error in Pime95. This is the best i have had so far, until i get some advise from some 1 more knowlagable on O\C, here is the screenie i have to show the speeds temps and error message:) if any 1 could advise what i should do next would be great. CPU cooler is a Thermaltake Golden Orb 2.

My Rig:

CASE-Thermaltake Armor Full Tower.

M\B-Gigabyte GA-M57SLI-S4 rev 2.0 AM2 now accepts AM2+

PSU-Enermax 620W SLI Ready

with cable management.

CPU-Phenom II x4 940BE 3.015 GHz (stock)

RAM-Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800mhz matched 2x 1GB Dual channel (unganged)

GPU's-Nvida 8800GTS 320mb 320bit x2 SLI (stock)

post-68601-1251966931_thumb.jpg

Edited by Thorax the Impailer

im no pro with AMD's but your HT link is kinda low? i would asume thats were your going wrong . theres a handy guide with lots of info on overclocking right here

Thank u for the advise KK_ I will read them thouroughly (excuse my spelling) but i can't seem to get it higher without cranking up my FSB and going over the memmery speed of 800mhz? which is what my mem runs best at? and i don't have a multiplier option for the HTL on my MB only the volts option, but i will check again just to make sure:)

Thank u for the advise KK_ I will read them thouroughly (excuse my spelling) but i can't seem to get it higher without cranking up my FSB and going over the memmery speed of 800mhz? which is what my mem runs best at? and i don't have a multiplier option for the HTL on my MB only the volts option, but i will check again just to make sure:)

ah a fellow kiwi , ram can run overclocked or underclocked , mine can run perfectly fine at 901mhz....

if you have a BE CPU why not just crank the multi up , far easy to do that than raise the FSB , and you get the same effect

EDIT: what voltages are you using on the Vcore and NB?

Edited by KK_

ah a fellow kiwi , ram can run overclocked or underclocked , mine can run perfectly fine at 901mhz....

EDIT: what voltages are you using on the Vcore and NB?

Yeh mate Kiwi all tha way:)

Unfortunately i tryd the multiplyer and kept getting BSOD's and no posts. i have left the voltages on auto because i was not sure how those 1's wrk exactly? and the HTL multiplier only goes to x5 on my Mobo which is what i had it on when i took that screenshot, so im kinda stuck? come to think of it i did read a forum on my Mobo and every 1 was furios about the HTL multiplyer not going any ferther....go figer lol

I will take note of the settings i have now and try what u segested and will post an other screenshot with the new settings when i get it as far as i can:) btw my RAM was underclocked in that screenie:)

Yeh mate Kiwi all tha way:)

Unfortunately i tryd the multiplyer and kept getting BSOD's and no posts. i have left the voltages on auto because i was not sure how those 1's wrk exactly? and the HTL multiplier only goes to x5 on my Mobo which is what i had it on when i took that screenshot, so im kinda stuck?

already found your problem , your voltages are messed up via auto :D .

just use the +/- signs to alter the voltages , best to do short 0.500/0 bursts then if it boots and does a 1h OCCT test , you can bring it back down until you find that perfect voltage so its overclocking and not just making heat :)

i would try find out what AMD recommend the max voltage for the processor is , also note what voltage is at base , notes or a good memory always help in overclocking.

i assure you a slight volt change and it should be stable.

how high are you aiming to go?

Edited by KK_

just use the +/- signs to alter the voltages , best to do short 0.500/0 bursts then if it boots and does a 1h OCCT test , you can bring it back down until you find that perfect voltage so its overclocking and not just making heat :)

i would try find out what AMD recommend the max voltage for the processor is , also note what voltage is at base , notes or a good memory always help in overclocking.

i assure you a slight volt change and it should be stable.

how high are you aiming to go?

I want to get to a stable 3.6Ghz untill i get better cooling.

My CPU vcore 1.3500 is the norm and 1.500 is the max recomended by AMD i was @ 1.400 at that test but the Core Temp app was showing the wrong vcore.

I want to get to a stable 3.6Ghz untill i get better cooling.

My CPU vcore 1.3500 is the norm and 1.500 is the max recomended by AMD i was @ 1.400 at that test but the Core Temp app was showing the wrong vcore.

3.6 is well in your range , 15x254 is what your aiming for . try pumping the NB up a 0.100 . your probably going to have to run your ram at a lower freq , but it shouldn't dip your performance that much.

im sure someone who actually has skill with overclocking AMD processors should be more help than me :P

i would start another topic explaining your problem really