My first build for a desktop. Need some tips and advice

xbattousaix

Ok, I was looking at some places to reduce my spending.

I was wondering if I were to get a Phenom II x2 or x3 instead of the x4. Im not really sure what will the difference be between a X2,X3,X4. I know its like more cores, but is there a huge difference if i went for something other than the x4?

edit: Should I use Windows Vista 32 bit or 64 bit? And I currently use Windows XP and like it a lot. Would it be wise to get XP again or upgrade to vista?

edit2: I just saw this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16811129064. A new combo deal. I was just wondering if i should go with this and save $70 or keep the corsair Psu.

Thanks for all the help so far. All your information has helped me with my research

well you could always get the x3 and have the best of both worlds (lower price and at the loss of only one core) On some motherboards you can actually unlock the 4th core (or 3rd and 4th cores, with the dual core).

definitely use win 7 (64bit) for now and then buy it when it comes out, don't fuel demand for 32bit OS's >:(

as for the combo deal, it seems pretty stupid to pay that much for a case (even if the PSU is supplied) just get the antec 300 before you downgrade your processor

No reason to get vista now, when you can use win7 for free, and buy it in a few more months. And it's supposedly better than xp and vista.

It is better than XP and Vista (proud user here :))

I personaly don't see a problem with the OP running on a corsair 550w psu, Chuck the parts into a calculator such as here http://www.thermaltake.outervision.com/Power and acording to my calculatons it will only draw 320w (no where near full load). Although with the price of psu's in the US you'd be better off (value wise) to grab more power so you don't have to buy another one later, but 550w is plenty for a single card set up and 650w is the bare minimum for a dual card set up (pending on the cards).

If you want to reduce your spending drop down to a x3 720be/ x2 550be (if you dont need the extra cores) or a x4 810 and grab a MA770T-UD3P and the cheapest ddr3 4gb kit you can pick up.

I was wondering if I were to get a Phenom II x2 or x3 instead of the x4. Im not really sure what will the difference be between a X2,X3,X4. I know its like more cores, but is there a huge difference if i went for something other than the x4?

edit2: I just saw this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16811129064. A new combo deal. I was just wondering if i should go with this and save $70 or keep the corsair Psu.

The EA650 is a very good, solid psu. I've had NO problems with mine at all. They're ugly and not modular, but great psu's. If you can save $20-50 by buying the bundle, I'd do it.

An X3 or X2 are still great processors. Many people have reported also enabling the extra cores via the motherboard bios and getting an X4 for a much cheaper price (your mileage may vary) - seems the X2 550 has the best success rate for this.