Processor speed help!

Auto should be fine for stock, but if you OC, you never wanna use auto as it will put the voltage way to high.

Thanks! Well I changed it to 10.5 and now both the POST screen and CPU-Z say 2800.3Mhz woohoo! :thumbs-up:

I feel so silly using my computer for the past couple months and it not even running at stock speed. Never had that problem before with other computers I've built.

Well thanks to everyone for the help, I really appreciate it!

Auto should be fine for stock, but if you OC, you never wanna use auto as it will put the voltage way to high.

I have never had this problem with using Auto voltages when OCing.

There's a lot of misinformation spread about Auto voltage settings and OCing and I think a lot of people just parrot what they heard from others who heard it from others who heard it from... and so on.

If you're OCing, you should stay away from Auto voltage when possible. That part is true. I've personally never seen Auto set it too high, in fact in my experience it sets it too low because the Auto setting is supposed to use stock rated voltage which is almost always lower than you want it for overclocking. The main reason to avoid Auto voltages when overclocking is simply because it puts you in control. If you know what you want the voltage to be, then set it there and be done with it. Why set Auto and have to wonder what you're going to get? And if you DON'T know what voltage you want, then you should stop overclocking immediately and find out because the worst thing you can do is change settings that you don't understand.

I wanted to make it big and bold so that you could actually see it :)

Lol, but seriously, read through the info first next time ;)

Yeah, he missed the info, but it's an honest mistake to miss one line in that big post. I think the big red letters and underlining was a bit more condescension than the situation called for, personally.

There's a lot of misinformation spread about Auto voltage settings and OCing and I think a lot of people just parrot what they heard from others who heard it from others who heard it from... and so on.

If you're OCing, you should stay away from Auto voltage when possible. That part is true. I've personally never seen Auto set it too high, in fact in my experience it sets it too low because the Auto setting is supposed to use stock rated voltage which is almost always lower than you want it for overclocking.

Yeah, not really. That one varies greatly by board so just because you haven't seen it doesn't really matter when it IS a potential issue. My EP45-UD3P almost autos where it should be to be stable, my evga 680i thinks I need 1.5v when i only need 1.3, and the P35 board/P5B-E I've got just stick to what the CPU specs read. So it is a VERY valid point to watch for boards that kick up the voltage, I've used a few others in the past that would also over volt but don't remember details of them now.

With all that said, you really should set the voltage so you know what the board SHOULD be doing, and not second guessing it the board's trying to fry your CPU (or other items with some other voltage setting) or giving it nowhere near what you expect.

If you're OCing, you should stay away from Auto voltage when possible. That part is true. I've personally never seen Auto set it too high, in fact in my experience it sets it too low because the Auto setting is supposed to use stock rated voltage which is almost always lower than you want it for overclocking. The main reason to avoid Auto voltages when overclocking is simply because it puts you in control. If you know what you want the voltage to be, then set it there and be done with it. Why set Auto and have to wonder what you're going to get? And if you DON'T know what voltage you want, then you should stop overclocking immediately and find out because the worst thing you can do is change settings that you don't understand.

Yeah, he missed the info, but it's an honest mistake to miss one line in that big post. I think the big red letters and underlining was a bit more condescension than the situation called for, personally.

You seem to have a "personal" issue against me, as you disagree with everything I say <_<

Also, my P5Q Pro put my voltages on 1.3 when I only need 1.25 or so.

Doing the voltages by yourself is safer, if you know the max volts you can have, than using auto. Lets say you want to go to 3.4ghz with that cpu, I don't even want to know here auto will put the voltages.

You seem to have a "personal" issue against me, as you disagree with everything I say <_<

Or maybe it's not personal at all and I just genuinely disagree with things that you say. But you're free to interpret it however you want. :rolleyes:

Or maybe it's not personal at all and I just genuinely disagree with things that you say. But you're free to interpret it however you want. :rolleyes:

Everywhere I post, you come in right afterwards and say, omg no darkfuneral1337 your wrong all the time I am always right <_<

Everywhere I post, you come in right afterwards and say, omg no darkfuneral1337 your wrong all the time I am always right <_<

I've never put you down or made any personal remarks toward you so don't expect any apologies. If you can't handle people questioning what you say then that's your problem, not mine. If you seem to think I've got it in for you personally for some reason you're welcome to PM me and we can talk about it, but I'm telling you right now that's not the case.

Also, saying you're "always right" is pretty bold.

Also, saying you're "always right" is pretty bold.

You misread that, I meant to say that you seem to "always be right". I know I am not always right, because I am not the greatest person out there with all the knowledge in the world.