AMD: Should I OC HT or NB?

JBags

Hey all,

recently got my RAM back from rma (finally!) So now I can Finally OC my rig.

Anyway, I was just curious about which is better to OC, the Northbridge or HyperTransport? They both default to 2000Mhz speed, and I can only OC one at a time... I currently have the NB at 2600MHz, and it's stable. So which is better to clock?

Hey all,

recently got my RAM back from rma (finally!) So now I can Finally OC my rig.

Anyway, I was just curious about which is better to OC, the Northbridge or HyperTransport? They both default to 2000Mhz speed, and I can only OC one at a time... I currently have the NB at 2600MHz, and it's stable. So which is better to clock?

i read somewhere that overclocking HT does nothing good for you are all (and can even lower performance some) but I forget where I saw that. The CPU and NB multipliers are the ones that give the most performance. Skim through this guide here too, it really helped me get used to the Phenom II

i read somewhere that overclocking HT does nothing good for you are all (and can even lower performance some) but I forget where I saw that. The CPU and NB multipliers are the ones that give the most performance. Skim through this guide here too, it really helped me get used to the Phenom II

Thanks for that link!!!! Really helped me out.. was hitting a "wall" at 3.3GHz just using the multi (200x16.5) and that guide cleared up a lot.

I'm now running 3.5GHz (200x17.5), with NB at 2400MHz and HT at 2000MHz.

Thing is, ever since i read that guide... it's been real easy, almost too easy.

i'm at 3.5GHz and haven't touched the vcore. I've been looking over the X3 720 reviews on the Net (OCC's and various others') and they're all hitting 3.4GHz with 1.4v vcore... am I just lucky? lol and I'm doing at least 5 runs of IntelBurnTest w/ max stress, and it's been passing no prob... lol

Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining :) .. it's just odd.

Thanks for that link!!!! Really helped me out.. was hitting a "wall" at 3.3GHz just using the multi (200x16.5) and that guide cleared up a lot.

I'm now running 3.5GHz (200x17.5), with NB at 2400MHz and HT at 2000MHz.

Thing is, ever since i read that guide... it's been real easy, almost too easy.

i'm at 3.5GHz and haven't touched the vcore. I've been looking over the X3 720 reviews on the Net (OCC's and various others') and they're all hitting 3.4GHz with 1.4v vcore... am I just lucky? lol and I'm doing at least 5 runs of IntelBurnTest w/ max stress, and it's been passing no prob... lol

Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining :) .. it's just odd.

yeah sometimes all it takes is one really generous person to make a guide that really lets us get along with our hardware. I hope one of OCC's AMD loving finest steps forth and writes one for our forums (or maybe could sticky that one)

I'm so excited to go home and mess with the 940 now, when before I was so nervous to.

As for your 720....KEEP GOING!!! have you tried unlocking the 4th core?? maybe if you find out it's an excellent clocker on 3 cores, then perhaps you'll have some lock as a quad

Edited by IVIYTH0S

yeah sometimes all it takes is one really generous person to make a guide that really lets us get along with our hardware. I hope one of OCC's AMD loving finest steps forth and writes one for our forums (or maybe could sticky that one)

I'm so excited to go home and mess with the 940 now, when before I was so nervous to.

As for your 720....KEEP GOING!!! have you tried unlocking the 4th core?? maybe if you find out it's an excellent clocker on 3 cores, then perhaps you'll have some lock as a quad

Agreed, I was getting errors at 3.4GHz (200x17) with 1.4v and the NB and HT both at 2000mhz, and after reading that guide, bumped the NB to 2400 and the NB voltage to 1.26, vcore back to stock and BAM .. no more errors :P

I plan on pushing it further, but the rest of today and tomorrow I'll be away at my friends house for his 21st hehe so I'll continue on the weekend.

As for the fourth core, i've messed around with the ACC settings ( actually leaving ACC on with 0% to all cores allowed me to alter the NB and HTT frequencies at the same time, whereas off it was one or the other, not both) but after some research, my mobo can only unlock the 4th core with some special 0802 beta bios.

Because it requires a different BIOS, I don't think i'm really going to bother with unlocking it. Honestly i didnt really get the x3 720 for the 4th core unlock lol. But down the road, after I push this thing as far as I can/dare, maybe I'll get that beta bios and try it for curiosity's sake.

Agreed, I was getting errors at 3.4GHz (200x17) with 1.4v and the NB and HT both at 2000mhz, and after reading that guide, bumped the NB to 2400 and the NB voltage to 1.26, vcore back to stock and BAM .. no more errors :P

I plan on pushing it further, but the rest of today and tomorrow I'll be away at my friends house for his 21st hehe so I'll continue on the weekend.

As for the fourth core, i've messed around with the ACC settings ( actually leaving ACC on with 0% to all cores allowed me to alter the NB and HTT frequencies at the same time, whereas off it was one or the other, not both) but after some research, my mobo can only unlock the 4th core with some special 0802 beta bios.

Because it requires a different BIOS, I don't think i'm really going to bother with unlocking it. Honestly i didnt really get the x3 720 for the 4th core unlock lol. But down the road, after I push this thing as far as I can/dare, maybe I'll get that beta bios and try it for curiosity's sake.

Yeah I'm down the shore until Saturday and can't touch the 940 until then :-/ but I would find out the chip's max at 3 cores and then go for the 4th core if you want. You've got plenty of time, have fun at that party haha.