Overclocking my i7 920 to 3.2GHz

Greetings

Ive recently purchased a new rig, and am looking to overclock the CPU. Im not interested in extreme overclocking, but rather just a slight increase to 3.2GHz for gaming. Im worried about damaging things, and am new to overclocking (I know how to do it, but have never done it). 3.2GHz looks to be around 160BCLCK - Would I need to add more power to the CPU? I currently have no cooling in my rig other than stock.

Ive got an Antec 902 case, with a 230mm top fan, two frontal fans, a side fan and 2 fans on the back of the tower. There is signifigant air flow throughout the case. Ive read articles, but they haven't gotten me anywhere. Can any seasoned overclockers help me with this?

My rig should be in my sig or on my profile, but ill post it here just incase.

Case: Antec 902

CPU: Core i7 920 2.66GHz

Mobo: Asus P6T

Video Card: GTX 260 896 Maxcore factory OCed

RAM: 6gb DDR3 Corsair

PSU: OCz Modxstream Pro 700W

Stock Cooling

HD1: 150GB 10kRPM WD VelociRaptor

HD2: 1TB 7200RPM WD

Greetings

Ive recently purchased a new rig, and am looking to overclock the CPU. Im not interested in extreme overclocking, but rather just a slight increase to 3.2GHz for gaming. Im worried about damaging things, and am new to overclocking (I know how to do it, but have never done it). 3.2GHz looks to be around 160BCLCK - Would I need to add more power to the CPU? I currently have no cooling in my rig other than stock.

Ive got an Antec 902 case, with a 230mm top fan, two frontal fans, a side fan and 2 fans on the back of the tower. There is signifigant air flow throughout the case. Ive read articles, but they haven't gotten me anywhere. Can any seasoned overclockers help me with this?

My rig should be in my sig or on my profile, but ill post it here just incase.

Case: Antec 902

CPU: Core i7 920 2.66GHz

Mobo: Asus P6T

Video Card: GTX 260 896 Maxcore factory OCed

RAM: 6gb DDR3 Corsair

PSU: OCz Modxstream Pro 700W

Stock Cooling

HD1: 150GB 10kRPM WD VelociRaptor

HD2: 1TB 7200RPM WD

You wont want to be overclocking with the factory heatsink and fan combo with an I7, it will run way too hot (hell even on clock stocks with the standard heatsink it was a little too warm for my liking) and yes 3.2ghz would be 20x160 Bclk. You would need to up the voltage a tad as well. A thermalright TRUE with 2 fans in push/pull or a CMv8 are very popular cooling options for these chips and yield good results.

Nice machine btw.

If you go to the motherboard forum at the ASUS website, you'll find a very good thread on overclocking with the P6T, but first things first, get a better cooler. I have a TRUE for my rig, and a P6T deluxe. When you do get around to overclocking, use the BIOS instead of the windows based tools ASUS provides. I had some weird stuff happen. :smack:

Thanks, I'll check that out

and also, thanks for the heads-up. I was going to use the BIOS anyways, because I didn't know TurboV allowed you to manually increase BCLCK speed (LOL!) but that would have defenitely been an attractive option.

It was weird for me because when I applied the new settings in TurboV, I got a loud squeal through my headphones. Instead of trying to figure out what happened, I just went back to the tried and true method by using the BIOS.

Always the best way to do it IMHO. 3.2 should be as easy as upping the bclock and setting the voltages manually to the specified normal volts to keep from overvolting thins whele running auto settings.

Manually set the cpu to whatever it defaults to at stock settings set the memory to 1.60 to 1.65 depending on the timings you want to run. the IOH to 1.1 the the QPI (or vtt) to 1.2 and you should be able to pull off 150 to 165 x20 easily. If not a slight bump in the vcore will get you there. You want to keep voltages as low as possible with marginal cooling.