Terms Mixed

asus

I thought a Cracker was a person who cracks into websites..servers...ect.. and a hacker was just a programer.. like a c++ programer, or emacs lisp?? Because if im right.. i see terms mixed up all the time!!! Just wondering though :P

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Hacker is just an easy term for the media to feed the stupid general public who no nothing of what the term even means.

Crackers are generally malicious and destructive, kinda like "script kiddys" <_< only they know what there doing, whereas "generaly" hackers find flaws, holes in servers, program faults, test antivirus software and the uber ones work for like the CIA (white hats) a trackin down other so called (black hats) at least thats what I know of the subject :blink: Suppose you wouldnt really know unless you were one :ph34r:

Hacker = Tests security of companies (like banks and stuff) by trying to "break" into it, if he can, he will tell the company, and they will update their security system, then later theyll ask him to do it again, and if he cant get in, theyre safe (for a while)

Cracker = hacks into systems(Home pcs,Big Companies, Banks) for evil purposes. He will try to steal information or destroy the system (revenge or whatever). These guys are the most dangerous people on the internet .

Thats how i think about it

Yeah, like its been said above, a hacker is a particularly talented programmer/computer techy. Being a 'hacker' doesn't even entail you are good with computer security. I consider John Carmack a hacker.

Crackers are the ones who break into computers without permission. The people who continually deface the RIAA website are crackers.