i7 920 Cooling.

Hey guys, soon I will be building an i7 920 rig. I have picked out a Coolermaster V8 to cool the i7, will this be plenty? Any more affordable coolers that will do a just as good job? I have heard suggestions of having a 60mm fan pointing at the CPU cooler, which again reduces temperatures by a fair bit. Only thing I don't understand is where these fans attach onto within the case? My case is a HAF 932. I plan on overclocking, but not pushing anything much. Maybe just going to 3.0ghz. This will be my first PC construction, so just gathering all the necessities before commencing. Thanks a lot for any advice!

For those who are saying that their i7 was "cool", what do you mean by "cool"? Got any temp benchmark numbers?

Under full load with some overclocking? 80C and below I guess :closedeyes:

I think I may swap the Coolermaster v8 out for the Xigmatek HDT-S1283 CPU Cooler, saving me $35. How much of a performance drop will I see by doing this? I've heard the Xigamatek is a very nice cooler, and very close to the v8 in performance? Also will I need to have a 60mm fan poiting towards the heatsink? Thanks again guys! :)

I have a HAF932 and a V8 with a 920 (D0) and I have it at 3.2Ghz 24/7. If you want a small OC (like I have) I'd say just go with the V8. It looks great and it is a decent cooler too. At load (after 3DMark06/Vantage) it was max 66 degrees, and I've never seen it go over 66 degrees so far. Not sure about 100% load, but I guess it would be no more than 70 degrees. At stock speeds it would be even cooler, and at 3GHz, still pretty cool. The lowest temp I've had with the V8 @ 3.2GHz is 24 degrees on a cold morning :) And these temps are at around medium fan speed. Don't worry about any extra 60mm fans because the HAF stock cooling is great, and the V8's fan acts as an intake while the HAF932s back 140mm fan acts as an exhaust (I can feel warm air coming out of it).

how quiet is the V8 in the HAF case.

I am looking at using a i950 no overclocking, in the HAF case, and i am interested to now how quiet the machine will be.

the HAF and v8 combo is extremely quiet, i can barely here it over background sounds. the giant fans in the haf keep it that way

Under full load with some overclocking? 80C and below I guess :closedeyes:

lost most control of my fingers & eyes water/spasm 24/7,so pleaqe bear with me, it hurts like hell 2 type

those are about the temps i get on my i7 920 withthe Noctua NH-I12P CPU Cooler NH-U12P SE1366 push/pull hsf cooler.

Dog i thought water cooling would be better (guess not). thats my temp running prime95 99.9% load

.pretty disappointing.. i was considering getting water cooling. nix on that thank u 4 the info

P6t delux v2 mobo , 6 ghzs corsair 1600 ram, antec 902 case, 650 antec true power suckply, 2 - WD vraptors in raid0 config (Quad booting), 2 - itb wd black hdrives , 1 segate 1 TB hdrive, 1 - 1 TB WD Green(slower) hdrive, tv tuner, 64 bit Sata II 2 port controller(1 int, 1 ext) 4 hot swaping (since the maxell doesnt do hot swapping - per maxell)