New HDD Decisions Dedcisions

Twist86

So I currently have 2 Seagate ST3320620AS 7200.10 320gb drives and both are total garbage they delay my load up and are slow no errors and pass all the tests but it delays my boot ups and makes a horrible noise.

Now I RMA both of my drives 2 times and they worked perfectly 1 month AFTER neweggs warranty then they did the same thing as before.

Note I don't RAID0 I use the 2nd as a storage drive but both do the same thing as my primary drives (no sound as storage oddly enough)

Instead of spending $20 or so in shipping for another used and defective drives I thought id buy another one instead.

I was looking at these two.

Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3250410AS 250GB

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16822148262

or

Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST3500418AS 500GB

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16822148395

Now I would imagine the .12 is faster but its new and not a ton of reviews. The 250GB on the other hand I bought for my mothers PC and it runs the way my 320GB SHOULD have ran to begin with.

If I understand this correctly the .10 = 250GB platters .11 = 320GB platters and .12 = 500GB platters.

My thought is the 320GB means its 2 platters correct? If so that would possibly explain my issue so I was thinking single platter. For the price of 6 dollars I could get a extra 250GB of space.

So what is the best option here? The one hand I know the 250GB one runs like a champion but the 500GB one could be just as good if not better.

Little bit of advice would be DEEPLY appreciated thank you.

Western Digital, Samsung or Hitachi....

the WD AAKS or AALS drives are really good and the F1 in the samsungs are good as well...

Thanks, I'm also looking for a new HD, that's why I was wondering.

I personally would stay away from seagate....but if i had to choose i would say the 500 no brainer.

:shrugs: I love my Seagate hdds. I love my WD hdds too.