Best video card/processor brand combo?

Which processor?  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Which one to choose?

• Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 @ 3.16 GHz
    • Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 @ 3.0 GHz
    • AMD Phenom II X2 550 @ 3.1 GHz
    • AMD Phenom II X4 940 @ 3.0 GHz

I think I'm going to use a dual core processor for now. When (or if) the day comes where I need more speed, I could always upgrade the processor (to a quad core), right?

If AMD: I'd use their new Phenom II X2 550 and could later upgrade to the Phenom II X4 940 or even the 955.

If Intel: I'd use the E8500 and could later upgrade to a core 2 quad. Maybe the Q9650 when/if the price drops.

Or I may even upgrade my motherboard [to an X58 chipset] and go i7. But I think I'm going to start with a dual core to keep prices as low as I can. Budget is a really bit issue I have.

However, when I get around to doing my build, I will FOR SURE consult with the people here at the OCC forums. This place rocks.

On a budget go AMD. If you got the cash and want the best go i7. C2D at their current prices isn't even an option imo.

And whats with people saying you should get an AMD/ATI video card because you have an AMD cpu? Pardon my french but thats complete bull crap and not true at all.

On a budget go AMD. If you got the cash and want the best go i7. C2D at their current prices isn't even an option imo.

And whats with people saying you should get an AMD/ATI video card because you have an AMD cpu? Pardon my french but thats complete bull crap and not true at all.

I think it was because they said AMD's nVidia chipsets were sort of lousy. And I don't think I'd be able to get the cash for an i7 build.

And I do agree that the Core 2 Duos seem overpriced. AMD is really looking appealing right now. The Phenom II X2 550... it looks more than decent. And AMD's quad core CPU's aren't too tough on the wallet for upgrading later on.

Edited by Miek

I think it was because they said AMD's nVidia chipsets were sort of lousy.

Thats not limited to AMD. Nvidia's chipsets tend to blow on both AMD and Intel :lol:

Thats not limited to AMD. Nvidia's chipsets tend to blow on both AMD and Intel :lol:

:blink: Good to know, I guess. Lol.

Would it be possible to disable the chipset somehow? The chipset is like an integrated GPU, right? So if I disabled it, I could run ONLY the graphics card, right?

However... I was thinking of using that AMD Dragon Platform or whatever it is (I think I mentioned this earlier in the thread). How is AMD's 790GX chipset?

Also, if Intel's stuff drops in price, would it be a good option? Because the E8500 does have some very good looking reviews.

And I read that the Phenom II X2 550 was just a quad core with 2 cores disabled. Is that true? Why wouldn't AMD just make a dual core with... well, 2 cores?

How is the Phenom II X4 955? It can be used with DDR2 OR DDR3 memory, so I could upgrade that later should I so choose. Also, the 955 is clocked at 3.2 GHz stock and has an unlocked multiplier. It looks as though it would be a good choice. And it's STILL cheaper than Intel's offerings...

Though the reviews here at OCC are pointing towards the P. II X4 940 over the 955. Especially for overclocking.

Edited by Miek