Why so HOT!!!

hey all a few of you already know that i have been awaiting a new i7 920 build to come in, all parts.

for those who don't know then: i just got this i7 920 build with water cooling and a gtx 295 in it but i got a problem

the water cooling seems to be running fine however... the CPU idles at about 44 to 50 degrees C the 44 i don't have to much of a problem with but the part i do have problems with is that the moment i start prime95 the temps git 60 instantly then after about 20 mins can hit around 70 even 80 degrees C I'm not sure what to do everything seems to be fine but its running as hot as i would have expected this chip to run on air cooling.

if it helps ive got a asus P6T SE mobo in here and the i7 920 is a D0. I was soo happy when i saw that, now to hope its a decent batch but this heat thing has kinda dimmed that.

EDIT: oh and im using arctic silver 5, may not help but anyway.

EDIT2: just using firefox its hitting 54 degrees. seriously think that's not right, is it?

Edited by Nekroze

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

it is the swiftech MCP655-b im not sure what the RPM is exatly... well i might but im not sure if thats it. would i see the RPM for it as the CPU fan's RPM considering i have the 3pin in the CPU fan slot on the mobo. its also connectect to the molex but i wasent sure if i should plug it up to mobo aswell so i did both. if it is that then its around 4000 something ill check in a few moments gotta do a reboot. but if the pump pushed any harder im not sure it would work at all as it is when the water gets pumped back into the reservoir from the rad it pushes the water down around that inlet for about 1 maybe 2 centimeters i was worried about this making a water bubble but thought it was ok so long as it didn't pump harder.

list your water cooling setup

take a pic of the water loop

if you're running a crappy block on a 80mm radiator with an LED fan, you would get bad temps

check your water cooling tubes make sure there are no air gaps, this happened to my friend before he just had to keep pinching and adding coolant till all the airbubbles were gone and it worked fine.

first up its a nice dual 120mm rad the fans have 90odd CFM rating, so don't think that is the problem. I did have a hell of alot of trouble with bubbles at first but after a fair few tilts of the case and even a complete roll, there is no visible air bubbles. I'll take a few shots of it within the hour the main part that I'm worried about being the problem, mostly because it wont fit anywhere else. the radiator is mounted on the top of the inside of my case, as i have an NZXT Tempest witch has mounting holes up there for one. if there was a bubble in there there would be no way to tell and with that being the very top of the system it is beginning to worry me.

the pump as already stated is the swiftech MCP655-b the -b just means no speed controller wich is gay because when i bought it from the site it says mcp655 so i got that and got a -b instead the stingy bastards.

the rad is a Swiftech MCR220-QP Radiator

with the Danger Den MPC-CPU i7 Nehalem/1366 water block

all tubing is 1/2" id and the fittings are all Danger Den highflow fittings.

pictures coming soon. thanks a heap for the help.

EDIT:also not just for testing but for stability and future OC... if the problem resolves.

i am rebooting in a moment to turn of both hyper threading and turbo mode. only posting this cause it relates to the CPU obviously, and that is what we is questionings thanks.

EDIT2: the thing i find the most odd is that from 45 degrees C on idle the moment i start the prime95 torture test it jumps to 60+ degrees , or is that normal climbing that fast.

Edited by Nekroze

oh no no overclocks yet mate. also after disabling the Hyperthreading it actually seemed to help the heat now prime95 is hitting 60 degrees. its early yet but before it instantly hit about 68 and i didn't leave it to climb any longer at that temp seems a bit better. dose HT usually add that much temp diff

ADDITON: If a prime95 test reaches almost 65 degrees C after a bit would that be considered ok to go ahead with an overclock, albeit slight.

Edited by Nekroze

oh no no overclocks yet mate. also after disabling the Hyperthreading it actually seemed to help the heat now prime95 is hitting 60 degrees. its early yet but before it instantly hit about 68 and i didn't leave it to climb any longer at that temp seems a bit better. dose HT usually add that much temp diff

ADDITON: If a prime95 test reaches almost 65 degrees C after a bit would that be considered ok to go ahead with an overclock, albeit slight.

sorry i'm slightly confused though, you're running water cooling and at 100% you're hitting 65degrees? i'm not sure if thats the same as the 775 sockets but my degrees never hit past 60 degrees at 100% and i'm using fan+heatsink. and i'm clocked o_o.

if what your saying is that with my water cooling i should get lower temps then you get on your air cooling then THAT IS THE PROBLEM lol

that is what i have said was the problem at the begging.... unless someone can say that with water cooling on a stock clocked i7 920 the temps should be at 60 to 70 load and that is ok then i can look to overclock it once i get my OS working 100%.

if not (as i thought) the i7 at stock clocks with water cooling then i have a problem with my loop.

ah yeah i know you said that in the beginning but i was referring to your additon , asking if it was okay to clock at 65 temp.

Probably a big no no, then again you should get a second opinion i dont know if i7's are different =/ maybe your heat sensors are busted o_O you could always try remounting the stock fan cooler and see what it does.

wacking the stock one will be my last resort kinda thing as i would have to disassemble everything. and such and i have problems with all the thermal compound stuff. eitherway that would be a last resort kinda thing anyway i know the i7s are ment to run hotter but how hot is normal and how far away from that am i with my ?functioning? watercooling setup... and if it is still too hot then then the why is the part that is gonna bug me the most.