Radeon HD 4850 Options

I have my Fan Speed set to 100% and after 15 minutes or so gaming I can easily reach 100C at which point I tend to shut down the computer, as I'd rather not fry the video card.

I always have the fan at 100% and even now using the forums I am at 59C.

Any ideas as to what I should do? I am thinking water cooling (and also about not breaking my wallet) and wondering what my options are, is water cooling my best option, (considering I would like to overclock this card), if so, what systems would do best to cool this setup (I'm looking for a kit with a more reasonable pricetag)?

If I choose to not go down the water cooling route, I still will have to fix up my CPU temps, which tend to hit around 70 after gaming, 55 idle (yea, way too hot for my likings). Btw, this is a Q6600. Case is an antec P182, and I have turned all in case fans to max speed.

Please point me in the right direct,

Thanks,

Matt

Just FYI if you're looking for 'reasonably priced' you're probably not looking for water. If you're not willing to spend about $200 on watercooling you'll probably get better performance on air. Seriously.

Don't make the mistake that most people do and assume that even cheap-o water will beat air. This is not the case. Even some fairly expensive water kits are beaten by a good air cooler (at about half the cost, too). There are a lot of water systems out there that perform quite poorly.

What's the ambient temperature there? There's no reason you should be running that hot (GPU or CPU).

Room Temperature is at about 22C, nice and cool.

Also, @Verran, $200 is well within my budget, anything between $200 and $300 is probably fine, any recommendations?

any recommendations?

Yeah....unless you're hell bent on water save your money and go with air. The temps aren't going to be THAT much lower with water and possibly not as low. B:)

Edit: That said if your looking for a one stop watercooling setup you can't hardly go wrong with anything from Swiftech.

Edited by Fueler

Yeah....unless you're hell bent on water save your money and go with air. The temps aren't going to be THAT much lower with water and possibly not as low. B:)

Would water not do better considering it could cool both the CPU and the GPU? Also, I plan to do overclocking (at least 3.2GHz on my Q6600 as per the CPU), would spending the extra bit on water cooling not be worth while?

Well we started off talking about cooling the GPU. If you want to go with water that's fine but it's not a bit more. You can get good quality heatsinks for both the CPU and GPU for around $100 to $125 a good watercooling set up is going to set you back for close to $300.....two to three times as much. Don't get me wrong I have nothing against water (I have two watercooled rigs myself) I'm just giving you options. :lol:

Well we started off talking about cooling the GPU. If you want to go with water that's fine but it's not a bit more. You can get good quality heatsinks for both the CPU and GPU for around $100 to $125 a good watercooling set up is going to set you back for close to $300.....two to three times as much. Don't get me wrong I have nothing against water (I have two watercooled rigs myself) I'm just giving you options. :lol:

If I was to use water cooling, what systems would be good for me, and how would they compare the the $100 to $125 air cooling?

EDIT: It looks like I have $400 to spend now. Which systems would you reccomend and would that $100 make the difference to make water cooling better?

Edited by MattDunbar

Would water not do better considering it could cool both the CPU and the GPU? Also, I plan to do overclocking (at least 3.2GHz on my Q6600 as per the CPU), would spending the extra bit on water cooling not be worth while?

Actually, I'm pretty sure water cooling gets somewhat "worse" the more components you have on the loop, due to the extra heat put in the water. I don't have personal experience, but airflow can be optimized so as to ensure heat off the video card is properly vented and doesn't really affect CPU temps, and vice versa. But with water you have to have a sufficient amount of radiators to disipate the heat from both components, as well as a pump that needs to be increasingly more powerful the more tubing and components you put on the loop, and so forth.

Of course, if you have the money, a good water loop will outperform the best air, but you need to do your research.

Edited by Baulten