which system file faster

anep

SSDs quite costly.. still student.. hv to raise fund to buy one.. so then i'll stick to 160b for c:\,160gb for the rest.., 1TB for storage

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would eliminate the install drive and install on C:/ along with the OS. Many programs, once installed, won't work anymore if you reinstall the OS. Program files are not the only things required for a program to work. For example, some programs will need register keys.

Even better, I would buy only a 1TB and make two partitions. One for the OS and programs, one for your data. This is the way I work since many years. (Smaller could also be fine depending of what you put on it; I only have a 80GB in my main PC, which is my MSI Wind, and I don't need more, although there is no game installed on it.)

Edited by The Smith

My personal experience with RAID is that it's a lot better if you have multiple striped arrays, so that data transfer between arrays is very fast, and you can have an independent Temp/Pagefile/Scratch array... otherwise, it can be hard to supply the RAID with enough data to make use of the write speed, and similarly difficult to warrant the need for sustained high-speed reads, for most purposes

Having your Windows Temp folder(s) on a separate disk speeds up installations and archive decompression immensely, regardless of whether you use RAID or not, the same applies to setting your Scratch disk (e.g. Photoshop / Premiere) to a disk that doesn't contain the work files, nor the OS/programs

In your situation, as you've mentioned, I'd go with:

160GB: OS, Programs, Games

160GB: Pagefile*, TEMP/TMP**, Scratch

1TB: Data

* [WindowsKey]+[Pause/Break] > Advanced > Performance/Settings > Advanced/Virtual Memory/Change > Custom size (e.g. 4096/4096 on D:, set C: to None)

** [WindowsKey]+[Pause/Break] > Advanced > Performance/Settings > Advanced/Environment Vars > User (TMP/TEMP) set both to D:, System (TMP/TEMP) set both to D:

Either don't use MyDocuments, MyMusic etc, or change the location to a corresponding folder in E: in the registry

You might think a 160GB temp drive is excessive, but IMO it's a good use of the disk

My personal experience with RAID is that it's a lot better if you have multiple striped arrays, so that data transfer between arrays is very fast, and you can have an independent Temp/Pagefile/Scratch array... otherwise, it can be hard to supply the RAID with enough data to make use of the write speed, and similarly difficult to warrant the need for sustained high-speed reads, for most purposes

Having your Windows Temp folder(s) on a separate disk speeds up installations and archive decompression immensely, regardless of whether you use RAID or not, the same applies to setting your Scratch disk (e.g. Photoshop / Premiere) to a disk that doesn't contain the work files, nor the OS/programs

In your situation, as you've mentioned, I'd go with:

160GB: OS, Programs, Games

160GB: Pagefile*, TEMP/TMP**, Scratch

1TB: Data

* [WindowsKey]+[Pause/Break] > Advanced > Performance/Settings > Advanced/Virtual Memory/Change > Custom size (e.g. 4096/4096 on D:, set C: to None)

** [WindowsKey]+[Pause/Break] > Advanced > Performance/Settings > Advanced/Environment Vars > User (TMP/TEMP) set both to D:, System (TMP/TEMP) set both to D:

Either don't use MyDocuments, MyMusic etc, or change the location to a corresponding folder in E: in the registry

You might think a 160GB temp drive is excessive, but IMO it's a good use of the disk

Would using a data drive (a 1Tb in my case) still give a boost, while having the OS+programs on a seperate (500Gb) drive? (the 1tb doesnt do very much except when i am specifically accessing the documents and stuff on there)

p.s sorry for the high-jack

Comp Dude, I'd put the pagefile and temp folders on your second disk...

Scratch is the general name I use for any application using it's own temporary folder/disk... Adobe products like Photoshop and Premiere have options to change the location(s) of the scratch disk(s)

• 3 weeks later...