Hello Everyone, Anyone Here From Hampton Roads Va.

Kelly

Hello everyone hope you all are enjoying the holidays.

I was wondering if anyone here was from VA. particularly Hampton Roads/VA. Beach? And if there is would you happen to know of any computer hardware stores in the area that caters to the highend users or OCers.

I'm in need of a place I can go buy part's without having to order them and wait for them to be delivered. Circuit City kind of dose or is starting to but their selection is very limited.

For example; I'm in need of a CPU shim compatible with AXP Barton to install this HSF in a new tower I'm building because in allot of the reviews on this HSF, says because the HSF clips are made of too sturdy material it's causing people to have to exert more force and sometimes damaging the core, I don't feel safe going forward with this project until I get that part and I don't really want to wait 3-7 days for one. Shipping was more than the shim itself at the places I looked! LOL:)

I've spent a good portion of this morning calling stores, looking online and in the yellow pages for a store to suit my needs.

Thank you

Kelly

Guest Ballz2TheWallz

ok drop the heatsink and get a differnt one do not get a shim they raise temps like 5C the a thermalright SP-97 the best amd heatsink

ok drop the heatsink and get a differnt one do not get a shim they raise temps like 5C the a thermalright SP-97 the best amd heatsink

How do you know what heatsink he has? It most likely is a SP series considering that is among the heaviest heatsinks out there.

However, Ballz is right in saying that shims aren't generally reccommended because they do have an adverse effect on the temps. You're better off being EXTREMELY careful in putting the heatsink on, IMO.

take the hs/fan combo apart and bend the clip a bit to "soften" it, make it a little bit more giving b4 trying to install, this way you dont have to use as much preasure to install your HS, and i can tell you from personal experience, those shims are trash, my tmeps where up in the 40's at idle and NOT overclocked, im afraid to see the temps while oced, anyways, after removing the shim my temps dropped alot ( i did have an idea of maybe modding the shim a bit, but beinmg a soft aluminum i probably would have destroyed the 11 dollar CDN peice o junk, so i just returned it :P )

umm it cant be a sp series cause he mentions CLIPS read inbetween the lines

But the fact still remains that the sp-97 doesn't solve this guys problem. At over 500g he is still going to be nervous about installing it without a shim. Granted, the screw install will help, but its still a very heavy heatsink. Plus, no one wants to go buy a $50+ heatsink when the one they have already works...

Kelly, sorry, but I don't live in VA. I'd suggest just opening the yellow pages and calling around. That is how I found my favorite local mod shop. Also, while it is nice to be able to get your products the day you need them, nothing beats the prices and selection on online buying. :P