Q9550 Cooling?

tdborg

Hi everyone,

Need a bit of advice on what HSF to get for my Q9550. I was looking at the Thermalright ultra 120 extreme but it is a bit expensive for me. Buying it plus the fan will cost me about

The TRUE (thermalright ultra extreme) is going to be the best air cooler you can get, but like you said, it's out of your price range. the Xigmatek HDT-S1283 rivals the TRUE in lots of cases and I consider it pretty equal to the thermalright in terms of performance Here is a link to the newegg page for it, i know you're not going to be able to buy it from them, but just to give you an idea of which one it is.

The TRUE (thermalright ultra extreme) is going to be the best air cooler you can get, but like you said, it's out of your price range. the Xigmatek HDT-S1283 rivals the TRUE in lots of cases and I consider it pretty equal to the thermalright in terms of performance Here is a link to the newegg page for it, i know you're not going to be able to buy it from them, but just to give you an idea of which one it is.

forgot the Xigmatek but since it's a quad I'd look into the S1284 not the S1283 (as it has the extra heatpipe)

I use the Sunbeam Tuniq Tower 120 and it works well for me. Temps running prime 95 peak around 55c at current clock. Idles in upper 20's c.

I want to add that I did mod its mounting thumbscrews into wingnuts and bolts, which works much better.

Yes itls a bit long in the tooth but still a viable air cooler.

@ IVIY: good idea, I'm only familiar with the one I posted, but i'm probably just getting them mixed up.

@ Kingfisher: Yes, the Tuniq is still a great cooler, in fact, mine is cooling my Q9550 right now as I type this lol. but yeah, the Tuniq is a good cooler, the only thing i don't like about it is that I can't put a 38mm fan on it.

Thanks guys

I like the look of the Sunbeam Core Contact Freezer, it has good stats for the price. Also the tuniq tower is a bit hard to get a hold of in th UK, i was gona get it from ebay!

Also what about zalman coolers are they any good for the Q9550? I had one in my last system and it was great so i wouldnt mind getting another one.

Hello again guys

Ive ordered the sunbeam core contact freezer and should be here soon. I getting TX-2 thermal paste with the HSF for free, do you think i should use it over arctic sliver 5?

Ive read a lot of reviews and the TX-2 seems to be just as good but im not sure because ive always used AS5 and its done well for me.

Ive read a lot of reviews and the TX-2 seems to be just as good but im not sure because ive always used AS5 and its done well for me.

the TX-2 is great! I used some on my graphics card and it dropped temps about 1-2C from the stock paste.

Hello again guys

Ive ordered the sunbeam core contact freezer and should be here soon. I getting TX-2 thermal paste with the HSF for free, do you think i should use it over arctic sliver 5?

Hey dborg...

Let me know how the sunbeam works out because I'm planning on getting one...

Thanks

Well i received my sunbeam core contact freezer today and just my luck it doesnt fit on my board.

When i installed the bracket i noticed that the clips were touching parts on the board and when i tried to put the heat sink on it was not possible. I tried it so the fan was facing upwards and side wards but either way the bracket will not allow it. I would have to mod my board a bit and i dont really wanna do that.

If you look at this pic you can see the blue parts which say 'gigabyte' and 'ultra durable', their the parts that get in the way:

Gigabyte EP45-UD3R

I did a bit of research on the net and ive found out that im not the only one with this problem and i would have to remove and bend parts on the board to fit it on.

Im RMAing it now and im gona go for this HSF:

Dark Knight

What do you guys think?!?

Well i received my sunbeam core contact freezer today and just my luck it doesnt fit on my board.

When i installed the bracket i noticed that the clips were touching parts on the board and when i tried to put the heat sink on it was not possible. I tried it so the fan was facing upwards and side wards but either way the bracket will not allow it. I would have to mod my board a bit and i dont really wanna do that.

If you look at this pic you can see the blue parts which say 'gigabyte' and 'ultra durable', their the parts that get in the way:

Gigabyte EP45-UD3R

I did a bit of research on the net and ive found out that im not the only one with this problem and i would have to remove and bend parts on the board to fit it on.

Im RMAing it now and im gona go for this HSF:

Dark Knight

What do you guys think?!?

Ahhhh... :(

I was thinking on getting the same cooler... Thanks for the heads up though...