Excessive Memory Usage

Are you talking actual memory usage or "cached" memory? The latter should be a very big number most of the time.

Your stuttering problem makes it sound like actual memory usage though...are the chipset drivers and the like installed?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you run Process Explorer from Sysinternals, are you able to get a better idea how each process is utilizing memory? Enabling the "working set memory" column may shine some light on this...

Does it do it on a plain Vista install right out of the box (as in, nothing else installed yet)? Could it be a virus or error in a program you're installing? I can't help but think this could be malware of some sort given that it seems to be hiding itself quite well.

Try:

- Turning your PSU off completely

- Unplug power cord

- Remove your RAM (try 10min at first)

- Put RAM back in

- Boot back up, see if problem still exists

- Run MemTest

Leave the RAM out for at least 10 minutes. Can always increase duration if you feel like testing further. You can also try clearing CMOS, though I'd probably save that for later down the line. I'm recommending this so you drain your memory of power so if there are any ghost bits left in there than this may clear it out.

If this doesn't work, you can trying this for 24hrs.

To me it sounds like a hardware issue, maybe motherboard but I honestly don't know.

Edited by Fogel

Try:

- Turning your PSU off completely

- Unplug power cord

- Remove your RAM (try 10min at first)

- Put RAM back in

- Boot back up, see if problem still exists

- Run MemTest

Leave the RAM out for at least 10 minutes. Can always increase duration if you feel like testing further. You can also try clearing CMOS, though I'd probably save that for later down the line. I'm recommending this so you drain your memory of power so if there are any ghost bits left in there than this may clear it out.

If this doesn't work, you can trying this for 24hrs.

To me it sounds like a hardware issue, maybe motherboard but I honestly don't know.

I don't think it's hardware because Windows 7 64bit doesn't have the same problem on this exact same machine.

:blink: Uh, what? RAM will lose it's data after about 70 nanoseconds of not refreshing...

Yeah its supposed to, but there is also a reason why many problems can be fixed with a simple reboot.

I've also cleared out many problems simply powering down the pc, disconnecting the power plug and letting the power drain. Why this works I cannot tell you. If there are people who can explain these instances then they are definitely in the minority. Sometimes something just isn't cleared from the memory/buffers. If you got a better explaination, please enlighten me because I'm always curious to know how stuff works. :)

I heard of this a little bit with very rare builds when Vista first came out, try updating windows as much as possible including all drivers etc. and see what happens. I doubt this is the case but since it works with windows 7 this is obviously a rare case so i would give it a shot. Very odd problem indeed.