Excessive Memory Usage

On my Vistax64 machine... I have 6GB of DDR2. Whenever I do something such as extract large files or install games.. my memory maxes out and my computer grinds to a hault.. The memory usage doesn't show up in either task manaer or Resource Monitor. Right now I'm trying to install HAWX and im using 5.81GB and i can barely move my mouse around as it's glitching like crazy. Any idea what is causing this or is it just normal for Vista64? It doesn't do this on Windows 7 64bit tho.

Thanks in Advance

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I opened 50 instances of internet explorer (seperate windows), an instance of wow, and running a few other different operations all at once and I didn't even get through half od my 6 gig of memory. I think something else is going wrong Hell raizer. check your resource meter and see whats bogging down.

It almost sounds like a computer thats bogged down with Viruses and Malware that I delt with about 6 months ago. If you can get the meter up again see if anything isn't actually clocked out. If not Take all but one of your sticks out and see if that helps. if not run tests.

How much memory are you using idle on the desktop?

How many processes are you running?

normally I'm around 1.2-1.5GB when just running typical apps (messenger, FAH (for OCC of course!), chrome. But it's only when i start a game install or unpack a big rar file (share lots of edited vids with friends). Here is a screenshot during the install of H.A.W.X...

http://i614.photobucket.com/albums/tt222/X...xX/likethis.jpg

H.A.W.X. just finished and yet I'm still using 5.12GB of which no process is claiming. Also, it has done this on multiple installs of Vistax64 and from a fresh install to where I am now.

Edited by XxHellxRaizerxX

Your processes are a little high compared to what I run. I am around 63 idle on the desktop.

Try turning somethings off and see what happens.

those are the processes I run normally. And i just restarted and sitting at 75 with 1.51GB (dont have some stuff running). I know I don't have a virus and the memory usage "only" jumps when I do what I listed above.

Try taking out one stick of memory and see if still does the samething.

tried all sticks by themselves and it still does it. The memory stays at a normal level until I do something really memory intensive then it shoots to its max and stays even after the program is done.