Water cooling suggestion please...

Wow...I got hi-jacked again!!!

What the Hell...?!?!

Well Copie...I'm glad you got all the help you were looking for (in the thread I started).

Here's my advice on a good water setup for an i7. I'll give you the parts I recommend and then I'll give you the reasons why I didn't choose some of the products listed above.

Setup:

EK Supreme LT Block

XSPC RX360 Radiator

Swiftech MCP 355 Pump

Your rez choice

Your tubing choice

The swiftech MCR series radiators are great radiators for everything except cooling an i7 setup. Their slim design hurts their capacity. You could cool an i7 with a 220 or a 320 but you could get much much better performance with a thicker rad from either Feser or XSPC.

I would recommend either the Supreme LT or HeatKiller 3.0 block over the GTZ or Fuzion V2 simply because they are better blocks with better cooling capabilities. The results may only vary about 2-5c, but considering the Supreme LT is cheaper than the GTZ and offers better performance I would have to recommend it. The Fuzion V2 is a great block and will give good idle temps, but it will give higher deltas when loaded.

Im in the same boat as the OP, im looking at purchasing;

Swiftech h20-220 kit

Ill also be running my gtx295 in the same loop, would i be needing another radiator (This one) And running them in series?

Thoughts?

I have this kit and I can say with just the i7 in the loop its not too bad.. I will be throwing the 295 in the loop with another 220 here soon. another 220 should be plenty as the i7 at 4.0 with a GTZ block that severly needs to be lapped, I see loads of only 63-64.

Has anyone used one of the push-pull setups from swiftech with the two radiators?? and if so, how well does it work?

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/8742/ex-...l?tl=g30c95s160

to be honest i thought i was responding to the OP. get yourself an avatar and you new guys will be easier to tell apart!
Noted...and updated!

Yes...it's a snake! One of my favorites.

Here's my advice on a good water setup for an i7. I'll give you the parts I recommend and then I'll give you the reasons why I didn't choose some of the products listed above.

Setup:

EK Supreme LT Block

XSPC RX360 Radiator

Swiftech MCP 355 Pump

Your rez choice

Your tubing choice

The swiftech MCR series radiators are great radiators for everything except cooling an i7 setup. Their slim design hurts their capacity. You could cool an i7 with a 220 or a 320 but you could get much much better performance with a thicker rad from either Feser or XSPC.

I would recommend either the Supreme LT or HeatKiller 3.0 block over the GTZ or Fuzion V2 simply because they are better blocks with better cooling capabilities. The results may only vary about 2-5c, but considering the Supreme LT is cheaper than the GTZ and offers better performance I would have to recommend it. The Fuzion V2 is a great block and will give good idle temps, but it will give higher deltas when loaded.

Thanks...I'll look into those items!

This was the kind of advice I was looking for...I appreciate all the advice but telling me "why" you're recommending one product over another is most helpful.

And I'll probably post some "Noob-Level" questions about this set-up before ordering.

Thanks again!

Ask any and all questions before you do something. It's better to know beforehand than to regret it later. You're at least on a very good track by going with a custom setup. As Nuclear said about the rads, I would have recommended a Thermochill PA.3 (idk what it is anymore since Petra's doesn't stock it :lol:). Guess I'd suggest a Feser since they don't have the Thermochills. Definitely get the MCP 655 pump from Swiftech. It's usually regarded as one of the best pumps around.

i think you'd be better off with res > pump > rad > CPU > rad > gpu

this way when you fill the loop, the pump will draw in water directly from the res which will prevent it from running dry and overheating. also, having the rads directly before the blocks will ensure the water is coolest right before it gets to them, and lessen the heat transfer from the pump. although i doubt the benefit would be huge, every little helps.

Actually it doesn't really work like that. The water entering the rad is pretty much the same temp as the water exiting the rad. It's not like a car radiator that has air forced fed into it.

Definitely get the MCP 655 pump from Swiftech. It's usually regarded as one of the best pumps around.

I prefer the MCP355 with an aftermarket top. Petra's was the best aftermarket top to get when i got mine but XSPC has two even better now, one of which is a built in res. But a 355 with an aftermarket top is alot better than a 655 imo.