1st HTPC build

hyg71886

Hi everyone this is my first time posting. I am in the NGR and go to Penn State. I'm about to recieve a refound and wanted to build an htpc to go with the 58in samsung PN58A650 I'm buying. I know computer parts will be going up so I want to build it now before this happens. My budget for this build is 2k, and I have no preferance on brands. The things I want to be able to do are the following,

1. Rip blu-rays at exceptional speeds to internal hd for later viewing (converting my entire collection to HD)

2. Orginaze and maintain my music collection (my speakers I have will be connected to tv)

3. Watch blu-ray movies whilee performing task in background

4. Be able to play games like 2k9 and

Burnout paradise maxed out w/ remote control(Games like crisis, Fear 2, etc I will play on my gaming rig)

I don't really no what direction to go for this build so I am open for suggestions. Everything will be connected through HDMI via Pioneer Elite SC-07. I have vista ultimate, but if there is a better media player program such as mediaportal or something, again I am open for suggestion. The last thing is I need recommendations for controllers that work great, and a program that will let me tweak them easily to play with games like 2k9, burn out, and saints row 2. thanks

I know computer parts will be going up so I want to build it now before this happens.

What makes you say this? Comparable parts almost always drop in price over time.

I don't think you need to spend $2k to be able to do what you want either. My HTPC cost me less than $800 and it can play Crysis smoothly. :P

Edited by Waco

What makes you say this? Comparable parts almost always drop in price over time.

I don't think you need to spend $2k to be able to do what you want either. My HTPC cost me less than $800 and it can play Crysis smoothly. :P

It was an article i read at pc mech, it made alot of sense. They said basically because not as many people are buying pc's as they used to, the price will more then likly go up by summers end. Wether true or not I don't care but I'll put it like this, I have 2months straight of training starting june 1-jully 22nd, then I'm going to TX, then August 1st I'm going to NJ for a few days. After all that when I get home, I just want to move in, connect and play. I don't think it will take 2k either but I'm saying thats my max budget for that.

I usually focus my efforts on making the best build for the lowest amount of money possible. but I need to know whether you will be converting from the bluray format to a certain codec or just literally ripping and storing them.

If just ripping an AMD Phenom II system is what I'd recommend, if converting them all then i7 it!

Edited by IVIYTH0S

I usually focus my efforts on making the best build for the lowest amount of money possible. but I need to know whether you will be converting from the bluray format to a certain codec or just literally ripping and storing them.

If just ripping an AMD Phenom II system is what I'd recommend, if converting them all then i7 it!

No I am just ripping to the pc and watching. I don't like swapping dvds. I have a PS3 but I think For my purposes the htpc will serve better. Of course I would like to spend the least possible, but I want performance in ripping the blu-rays and will pay for it if necessary.

Edited by hyg71886

No I am just ripping to the pc and watching. I don't like swapping dvds. I have a PS3 but I think For my purposes the htpc will serve better. Of course I would like to spend the least possible, but I want performance in ripping the blu-rays and will pay for it if necessary.

I'd say just get an HTPC build similar to Waco's, 790GX boards have intergrated graphics and most have the HDMI out. If you wanted an ultimate media card, the 4670 is the best for the money. With the extra money left over you can help buy my HTPC build ;)

I'd say just get an HTPC build similar to Waco's, 790GX boards have intergrated graphics and most have the HDMI out. If you wanted an ultimate media card, the 4670 is the best for the money. With the extra money left over you can help buy my HTPC build ;)

do you think the x4 940 is worth the price difference from the AMD Phenom II X3 720

Update: Also how does the ATI Theater 650 stack up to the Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-1600

Edited by hyg71886

This is what I have so far

cpu- AMD Phenom II X3 720

mobo- GIGABYTE GA-MA790GP

ram- OCZ Gold 8GB DDr2800 (4x2gb) 5-4-4-15

PSU- CORSAIR CMPSU-620HX 620W (modular)

keyboard/mouse- Logitech diNovo Mini

sound card- ASUS Xonar HDAV1.3 Deluxe (is it worth it over onboard?)

bluyray rom- LG Black Blu-ray/HD DVD-ROM

vid- HIS Hightech H485QT512P Radeon HD 4850

tuner- Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-1600

controller- Need suggestions

Grand Total(w/out case): $1,267.44

What do you think of this build? for the case I'm leaning towards the Thermaltake dh 104 or the Antec Fusion Remote Max. The dh 104 has good air flow/sound damping plus the screen:) I found it at frozencpu.com for 485.00 and for 50 bucks more they do this example of damping do you think it's worth it?

Edited by hyg71886

why those OCZ sticks, get some 4-4-4-12 with 800mhz

price i imagine. i can get 2x2 kits of cl4 pc6400 for dirt cheap, but there's still a massive premium on 8gb matched kits at those latencies.

edit: this post is based on prices in my area. looking at newegg (whish seems to be the standard for US folk) there's a patriot kit right underneath the OCZ one with 4-4-4-12, and the price is only $7 higher! get the patriot kit!

Edited by psycho_terror