how much more speed will i get

usaweapon777

well i was thinking of buying some hard drives of newegg the other day and then i started wondering how much faster my computer would load things with dual hard drives in raid 0. i have a western digital cavier blue 500g............ will it speed up my boot times and games quite a bit ? just wonderin if its worth the investment. i'll buy another one if my games load a bit faster and large programs also.

More than likely, it will make a pretty minimal difference. Might boot a little faster, but gaming will probably see a pretty small increase, if it's even noticeable at all.

Dont waste your time/money.

I tried that whole RAID 0 2x 7200 drives to see if it would be faster, and no, it isnt. Just a headache.

I then tried the 10k drive, and again, save your ears, not worth it either.

Now I am back to a single 7200 drive, and I cant tell the difference between the RAID 0 I had or the Raptor. Apart from less noise.

I like my setup. My load times in games like Company of Heroes or way back when in EQ2 are faster with my ultra quality textures than peoples' with low quality. Windows boots pretty quick, and my paging file is on its own partition and hasnt once slowed anything down. That said... you can live without it. If you're going to do it, do it for the novelty and experience as well as the speed. If you dont mind the possibility of painful troubleshooting and starting from scratch, then by all means go for it, the extra speed is worth it.

It depends what you use your computer for. If you're writing data constantly than it helps. If you're just reading data (most games) than it may not be worth the price/effort.

my father works for X3r0x, and he managed to bring home some 80gb WD sata drives from some of the non-working copy/print controllers he works on that would have otherwise been trashed. they were all same make and model, so I said, what the heck, ill try RAID 0-ing them for the hell of it. So far I have not had any probs with it, Windows boots up faster I've noticed, and it didn't take me too long to set up. However, we had the drives laying around.. so I literally didnt put any money into it. And unless you can get the drive for dirt cheap, it prob isnt worth it just for the games. sure they'll load a little faster probs, but not much.

Plus, would you really want to do a reformat? =P

EDIT: Off-Topic: Yay, 50th post! ^_^ lol

Edited by fearspartan117

okay thanks for all the replies. SO it helps a little but not worth the money. okay well thanks for the advice i guess i'll save myself the pain of reformatting and then not getting results thanks again

You dont need to reformat. You can use imaging software to image your OS drive onto a spare non-raid drive (borrow from a friend or something), then wipe your originals, create the RAID, and re-mount the image. Thats how I created mine, and is also how I guard against hardware failure and software corruption.