Q9550 - 4Ghz or 3.68Ghz?? what do YOU think?

Hey all, thanks for reading!

So....

My current settings are:

vcore 1.31 to 1.34 (load - idle)

Temps are maxing at 64C for hottest core under large FTTs prime

3689Mhz

memory at stock 9-9-9-24 1333

I was playing around my overclock and managed to get 4Ghz @ 1.36 - 1.424v

Temps seemed to spike at 68C under max load, which seems to be under 71 thermal specs of intel for 45nm.

Im just worried about going over the max vcore of 1.41 suggested by intel...

Still REALLY want to see that 4Ghz post !!! :O

What do you all think? Is it too risky at those volts?

What kind of loss of lifetime should i expect (50% faster death or more like 5%)

Do the reasonnable temps mean its ok?

When people mention their vcore in overclock results, do they mean their full load vcore or the higher idle version?

How about intels recommendations?

It all depends on what your comfortable with.

Some people would be fine with it and others wouldn't.

To me that vCore is fine.

More importantly is it stable? Run prime95 for a while and see if you get errors(this usually means 8 hours btw)

Lol, I was so UNCOMFORTABLE with that 1.424 that I immediately rebooted and reverted.

had cpuz load with windows, saw the fluctation, saw the maximum over the recommended, panicked (ime still learning the ropes and I dont have spare processors or the desire to buy one!)

I know I wont be able to resist though, give me a few days and I'll crack and try to get it stable.

Im probably not far off with voltages, rarely did I have to up vcore more than 2 or 3 steps to get stable prime from stable vista 64 boot.

Also I have negative vdroop... I have it at 1.3925 in bios, perhaps that is another factor holding me back, im always afraid it will overdue the overvolt.

Vcore in BIOS is what counts.

As Taco said, its all about what you are comfortable with.

Stability is key, if it isn't stable everything else does not matter.

Run prime using blend for 24 hours to be sure.

Your temps wouldn't be too bad for 24/7 imo.

Unless you live in a really hot country, get a better heatsink

+1^.... yep it looks like temps are holding you back at this point....get better cooling...!!

Well, as per Intel's Specs for the Q9XXX series (data sheet I posted the link for you a couple of days ago)

Recommended max voltages,

vcore: 1.3625

Pll: 1.575

vtt:1.265

BUT they also give you a MAX MAX,

vcore: 1.45

They do explain though that exceeding the recommended (1.3625) but not exceeding the Max (1.45) will

degrade the chip slightly. They can't tell you how much because of all the other factures that are involved.

Just FYI.

Do you think replacing the stock 90cfm fan on my core contact freezer for a 150+cfm fan will make a big difference?

Or am I really only concerned with water at this point?

water schmaughter, good air is fine and the core contact is a good cooler, you could try gettinga better fan since you should have similar temperatures as me. I get 65C on Prime95 load at my current OC and voltage and only 60C on super low fan settings and folding 24/7

Unless you live in a really hot country, get a better heatsink

I'm hitting 68C under full Folding load with my Q9450 at 3.6GHz with 1.296V according to CPU-z. I'm using a Zalman 9700. what the heck!