q6600 temps

Hey guys about a year ago i built a comp and about a month ago i learnt how to check the tempuratures of the hardware and etc. after reading a few posts on different forums i realised that my cpu temps were crazy and way too high. when ambient temps outside the case was 22c i was getting roughly 50c on idle and up to 71 degrees after running prime 95 for 30 seconds! i have a thermaltake soprano case. it has a 12mm intake at the front and a 80mm side intake and a 120mm exhaust fan at the back. My cpu is a stock q6600 with a stock fan.

mb: Asus p5n e sli

Cpu: q6600 @2.4ghz (stock)

2 gb ddr 2 kingston ram

thermaltake soprano

430w thermaltake

8800gt 512mb

320gb wd sata

any help and advice would be greatly appreciated thanks!

if you are using CoreTemp to monitor temperatures, I would say the cooler isn't mounted right, possibly one corner isn't pinned down properly... have you tried reseating the heatsink?

something more like 40 idle / 55 load is what I'd get from the stock cooler

I use both coretemp and speed fan and they show exactly the same temperatures. i have tried pushing down on the pins just now no change i havent got any thermalpaste at the moment to reseat. im going to buy some artic silver 5 once the weekend comes.(school) would these kind of temps be what u get if u dont put any thermalpaste on because a friend built my comp and im not sure if he put any :S

Like Hardnrg said, just check if all the push-pins are locked in. I really hate the push-pin design for mounting heatsinks in the 775. They come out fairly easy and aren't worth the hassle. I bought a Thermaltake bolt-on kit and used it for my Xigmatech heatsink. It took a little bit of modding to get it on there, but pretty simple and easy to do. Just took pilers and cut off the plastic push-pins on the Xigmatech and put the bolt through the old push-pins hole and mounted with a spring, back plate, and washer.

Of course you don't need to do any of this if your pins are staying connected. I don't see how your friend could have not applied any thermal compound on it. I believe all retail CPU come with a stock heatsink that has thermal compound already applied to it. Unless you bought an OEM cpu.

Edited by Krazyxazn

Stock heat sinks come with a thermal pad, while its no where near as effective as thermal paste, its still in place to do the same thing.

So unless your friend wiped the thermal pad off the heat sink there should be a thermal compound there. (how ever crappy :P )