Introduction / Overclocking i7 920

Ok, I'm kind of new to the overclocking world, so I'm going to give you a little info about myself before I proceed to asking the questions I need answers to.

Im 23, started using a computer at 13 for QWTF. Was pretty knowlegable at certian software, and could easily build a PC, but never really stepped into overclocking...and learning how everything relates to eachother and the communication paths etc.

Long story short, I've gotten my computer addiction back, so I decided to order a new PC.

Nzxt Alpha case

Asus P6T x58 (NON-DELUXE)

Core i7 920 @ 2.67GHz

6 GB Corsair DDR3-1333

eVGA Geforce 9800 GTX+ 512

Intel 1000PT PCIe 1x

Seagate 500GB HDD

1000w PSU

Tuniq TX-2 Thermal Compound

Napoleon CPU Cooling Fan

Vista 64

Ok, so I've been looking at ways to get the most for my money, and it seems overclocking is the best alternative to pumping thousands of dollars into upgraded components. That being said, from all the research I've done, the best information concerning overclocking an i7 920 was found here. However, it still doesnt give me step by step instructions. I know to increase FSB until you blue screen then greet it with voltage and benchmark...but...(heres where my questions start)

1) What software do I ABSOLUTELY need. I have CPU-z and GPU-z. (as I intend to overclock my CPU/RAM/GPU)

2) What temperatures are the most stable, and what max temperatures should I be concerned about?

3) What max voltages should I be concerned about?

4) Does anyone have a similar setup to me, who has successfully overclocked their CPU to 3.8GHz+?

5) I know the settings will greatly differ from one i7 CPU to another, however, in the link I provided above...are those settings pretty close to standard for a 4.0GHz clock speed on an i7?

6) I'll have two case fans + the Napoleon, will that be enough to achieve a relatively high overclock while maintaining a low temperature?

7) I know the multiplier is locked on all i7's except the Extreme, so would I be using the standard method of FSB then voltage, FSB then voltage?

8) Are there any special configurations I need in BIOS to make this overclock successful?

9) Once I've got my CPU close to the desired overclock, what software is best for keeping an eye on temperatures and running my stress tests and benchmarks?

10) Is there any huge difference between OCing on the P6T vs the P6T Deluxe version that may cause problems with the OC?

I know I'm a n00b :( but, any help would be greatly appreciated....prior to me diving in to juicing up a $1300 investment.

Edited by GodsHand

My setup will be close to yours and I am wondering the same things.

Also you will probably need one of the better coolers out there. Thermalright 120, Noctua U12-HP (I think, find it on newegg, its the most expensive one) or Zalman 9900 i heard is pretty decent

Yes, that is the one that many people recommend.

3DGameMan (computer parts reviewer) also recommended the Zalman 9900.

And Arctic Silver 5 will wield best results, so go with that if possible.

But you cannot go wrong with the Noctua. You might want to replace the fans that come with it though, and while it WILL be louder, they will cool much better

Like above there are changes that should be made.

For instance I wouldn't get that GPU if your looking for one in that price range then pick up a 4870. I'd personally recommend a GTX 260 BE, but it does cost a bit more.

The 1000W PSU is way to large. A 600w could easily power that build fine.

As for the overclocking an i7.

There isn't a step by step instruction because every CPU is different. Some i7's will get to 4GHz easy, and some will barely get past 3.2.

There is no FSB. What you have is a base clock and a multiplier.

If your baseclock is 133 and your multi is 20 your i7 will be clocked at 2666MHz. Turning up the baseclock to 200 and the multi at 20 in theory would give you a clock of 4Ghz, but it probaby won't work for you. You'll either have to lower your multi and increase your base clock, or increase your multi and lower your baseclock.

Example:

At 200 x 20 I couldn't boot at 4GHz, but at 210 X 21 I could boot fine at 4.4.

I couldn't boot at 3.8 GHz with a bsclk of 190 and a multi of 20. but lowering the multi to 19 and increasing the bsclk to 200, I got 3.8 fine.

As you increase your clock speeds you'll have to increase your voltages or you will not be able to boot, and may encounter blue screens.

Make sure your RAM voltage is set currectly, And disable spread spectrum.

Depending on how high you want to clock you'll have to disable other things as well.

ya, you dont need a 1000W PSU

LAWL

It was $40 more than the 800W i wanted :D I figured overkill is better than not having enough...

As for the FSB yes i know this has been replaced with the i7's..but the multiplier is locked with an i7 920, so how do I go about lowering it?

So basically I just up the base clock until the computer wont boot into windows, then up the voltage until it will...? Then repeat..until I reach the desired CPU clock, the temperature goes too high, or the computer wont boot into windows?

RAM voltage states it shouldn't go over 1.35V but is there an exception to this?

And as far as the GPU is concerned..its my starter card...im going to overclock it stack some money then replace the mobo with an eVGA x58, and tri-SLI GTX 295

so you didn't buy the computer yet?

there is alot of changes I'd make

Yes, I've bought the computer already, but what changes would you personally have made and why?

I've looked at benchmarks for all of my equipment, and its all in the medium-excellect range of quality, with a medium sized price tag.

Edited by GodsHand

It was $40 more than the 800W i wanted :D I figured overkill is better than not having enough...

As for the FSB yes i know this has been replaced with the i7's..but the multiplier is locked with an i7 920, so how do I go about lowering it?

So basically I just up the base clock until the computer wont boot into windows, then up the voltage until it will...? Then repeat..until I reach the desired CPU clock, the temperature goes too high, or the computer wont boot into windows?

RAM voltage states it shouldn't go over 1.35V but is there an exception to this?

And as far as the GPU is concerned..its my starter card...im going to overclock it stack some money then replace the mobo with an eVGA x58, and tri-SLI GTX 295

The memory multiplier is unlocked, the QPI can be changed, and the multi can be lowered. (just lower it in BIOS)

So you will probably need to go multi of 18 and bsclk of 200+ if you want to get above 3.8GHz.

I had no problems setting my multi at 21 and my bsclk at 205 and getting 4.3GHz even thought the mutli is locked.

And RAM votlages shouldn't go above 1.65(it can permantly damage CPU) You should however set your RAM voltage to whatever your RAM is rated at. If it is rated at 1.35 leave it at 1.35.

Temperatures can get really high on i7 80c is now perfectly fine to run at.

And no can tri 295's

Quad is the most right now, and even then it's not worth it.

Edited by tacohunter52

The memory multiplier is unlocked, the QPI can be changed, and the multi can be lowered. (just lower it in BIOS)

So you will probably need to go multi of 18 and bsclk of 200+ if you want to get above 3.8GHz.

I had no problems setting my multi at 21 and my bsclk at 205 and getting 4.3GHz even thought the mutli is locked.

And RAM votlages shouldn't go above 1.65(it can permantly damage CPU) You should however set your RAM voltage to whatever your RAM is rated at. If it is rated at 1.35 leave it at 1.35.

Temperatures can get really high on i7 80c is now perfectly fine to run at.

And no can tri 295's

Quad is the most right now, and even then it's not worth it.

Sorry, I typoed. 285 :)