Need some help with this

Queenz

I'm going to be hard wiring my radar detector to my car but need help with something. I need the electrical wiring to do it. I'm wondering what kind of electrical wiring do I use to run power through the wires. I know it's a power(red) and ground(black) wire. But what type of wire do I use? I heard your can use 16 Gauge wire but isn't that speaker wire? WTH I'm confused lol.....And I don't need too much wire really. Everywhere I look their on spindles with like 50 feet but I only need a certain length. I need about 10 feet of power and 10 feet of ground wire. I know how to hardwire I just don't know which type of electrical wire to use.

It depends on how much power it draws...

Heres a rough estimate on Amperage/Gauge:

24GA 12VDC 3A

22GA 12VDC 5A

20GA 12VDC 8A

18GA 12VDC 10A

16GA 12VDC 15A

But over all if you just run 18GA for most things it will work fine.

(barring of course high amperage things)

It depends on how much power it draws...

Heres a rough estimate on Amperage/Gauge:

18GA 12VDC 3A

22GA 12VDC 5A

20GA 12VDC 8A

18GA 12VDC 10A

16GA 12VDC 15A

Does the power it draws have to be specific or an estimate? I know it doesn't require no more than 10 amps cause my power socket in my car uses a 10 amp fuse and that's where I currently have the radar detector plugged in at. So I'm assuming no more than 10 amps. But everytime I put in like 18 or 16 gauge wire, it says speaker wire on the search.

BTW I'm using one of those add a circuit fuse things. So I need wire for ground and power. I just need a custom cut, not like a whole roll of wire on a spindle.

Edited by QueenzPCfreak90

Nope, mine were just estimates.

18GA is perfectly fine.

Your gonna want to go to a local shop to get your wire however, that way you can get custom lengths.

damn I thought a store on the web could do that for me lol. Does radio shack do custom lengths?

Custom lengths? Like...cutting them yourself? I'm sure you can find enough wire for a reasonable price...

http://order.waytekwire.com/category2/M37/...%20AND%20CABLE/

These guys look like they'll price things by the foot. ...with a pretty big minimum. Maybe you will have to go to the local radioshack.

Edited by Crazy_Nate