Cpu OC affecting Gpu OC?

shiver_8

Okay so I overclocked my e8400 to 3.825 24/7 stable. I tried to overclock my xfx 9800gtx+ and it worked... a little. I see all the reviews on the 9800gtx+ able to overclock it fairly significantly, to 815/2025/1320. Well, I got a maximum of 750/1885/1250 before it started glitching in game. Then, one day just screwing around, I underclocked my processor to 3.6ghz and I could suddenly overclock my gpu to 785/1989/1300 easily, totally stable. So, does the cpu overclock effect the gpu in any way? Or is something just hella wrong? Also if this is the case what would you do downclock until the gpu is highly overclocked or leave the cpu @ 3.6 and the gpu @ 785/1989/1300 which is basically the compromise. (BTW I tried forever to get my cpu to hit 4 ghz, I think the 750i FTW is holding me back though, can't exceed 1750 fsb, totally unstable. Yet I can hit 3.825 with 1.24 vCore, just a side note.) Anyways as always help is appreciated thanx :thumbs-up:

Maybe you PSU is not a high quality or reaching it's peak power output? what kind and wattage do you have?

or perhaps maybe your CPU was just unstable? and the extra GPU load brought that into light?

Edited by IVIYTH0S

Aye, could be simply a matter of the GPU not getting enough juice. Have you always manually set your PCI-E frequency to 100?

Although now that I think about it, I tried overclocking my 9800 GTX+ while my CPU was above 4GHz and I didnt get hardly any gain in speed at all before it went unstable, but my PSU is a 750W PC Power and Cooling. What brand video card do you have?

Maybe you PSU is not a high quality or reaching it's peak power output? what kind and wattage do you have?

or perhaps maybe your CPU was just unstable? and the extra GPU load brought that into light?

Corsair 750W PSU. And no I'm pretty sure I have a good chip if I'm doing 3.825 ghz @ 1.24 vCore.

Aye, could be simply a matter of the GPU not getting enough juice. Have you always manually set your PCI-E frequency to 100?

Although now that I think about it, I tried overclocking my 9800 GTX+ while my CPU was above 4GHz and I didnt get hardly any gain in speed at all before it went unstable, but my PSU is a 750W PC Power and Cooling. What brand video card do you have?

It's an XFX video card. The lower I put my CPU OC, the higher I can OC the GPU. Idk why but that's my scenario. And yes my PCI-E frequncy is ALWAYS at 100.

Very weird, I never thought to lower my processor OC when I was trying to OC my graphics. I have the eVGA 9800GTX+, and I couldnt raise the speeds on it much at all either. I'll try undoing my processor OC and seeing what happens.

When you lowered your clock, was it by lowering your FSB or your multiplier?