ASUS P6T Deluxe V2

Jobu171980

Hello,

I am relatively new to overclocking. I understand some components of it, but not all. I am looking for some good stable settings for my system to get a good performance boost out of all my components, but without pushing the envelope. I've been tinkering with some settings already, but would like to get some more experienced help. This comp will be primarily used for games/movies, with some very light "office" work. Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

System Components:

ASUS P6T Deluxe V2

Core i7 920

Cooler Master V8

Patriot Viper 6GB DDR3-1600 8-8-8-24 (PVT36G1600LLK)

Corsair TX850W

XFX GTX260 Black Edition

WD Caviar Black 750GB

Antec 1200

I've been doing some more reading up, and I guess my question is more this: Should I keep my voltages on auto or should I manually set them to keep temps down? And if I set my voltage to auto, would it boost the voltage up to levels I am "uncomfortable" with or that would excessively raise temps of the board ?

please read the overclocking stickies int he forum :) should answer alot if not all your questions. once you get a handle on that im sure you will post more of the information we would need to even begin helping you OC it ^_^

I've been reading the stickies, which is why I am still having questions. I've looked at OC guides, such as XBit (although some posts said that x-bit tends to be more aggressive in delivering voltage). Given my setup, I'm looking to have an ~3.6ghz (not too aggressive, not too conservative) but still need some help. I understand that every component is different as to what it can handle, but a good starting point in terms of actual settings would help me considerably.

I always test my new hardware at their stock settings. The reason is to be sure my hardware is all working properly so I can't confuse it for bad settings.

After that I would slowly increase my FSB until it won't post and then you move on to voltage increases. You see how a methodical approach can help by setting a baseline of stability instead of just tossing numbers into the BIOS and unless you just get "lucky" you won't learn anything and will be confused.

So my advice is to start at stock and move from there. Print out the guides and follow along, you will learn and have a lot of fun.

To answer your question... I personally feel the most comfortable when I'm in control of what my machine does. So in that vein, I would manually set the voltages, rather than leave it up to some algorithm that might guess too high, too low, or just right, all with equal probability.

I also diverge some with Kingfisher, but his advice isnt wrong by any means, just another way to do it. I usually set my voltages too high on purpose when I start and have a specific goal in mind (3.6Ghz for example). Then when I get to my goal, I adjust the voltage down until its unstable again, that way I know the minimum voltage required for my clock. Then I raise it by a couple notches and I'm good to go.

It is advised though, to start at stock. I know thats not what you want to hear, but it really is the best way to do it. Start at stock core FSB or whatever the i7s use nowadays, and bump it up and up and up, each time giving the setup a quick test. Once you start to get close to where you want, or are forced to change other voltage or ram settings, start being more thorough with the stability tests.

Good luck!

The voltages that help the most are the QPI voltage, IOH and ICH voltages. For a 220bclock I am at 1.35 on the QPI 1.34 on the IOH and 1.3 on the ICH with my CPU voltage set to what it needs for a given speed. So far 1.4 for just under 4.0GHz.

• 2 weeks later...