Quad Core And Dual Core Question + Screen Resolution Question

mikozee

Is quad-core worth it nowadays? I know when it first came out, there weren't many programs that utilized it to it's full potential, thus making it rather pointless to get. I'm wondering if it's still like that. My choice right now is a 2.0ghz quad-core or a 2.4 Dual-core. I'm going to be using the laptop as my workstation, desktop, and mobile gaming center. So I need the best processor.

Also, is there a huge difference between WUXGA and WXGA+ ? On that note, is there a huge, noticeable difference between a 1920 x 1200 and 1440 x 900 display? Both monitors are 17".

Theres these two laptops. One of them has the 1920 x 1440 display. It seems that everyone wants to get this version. However, I've also read that the people who get the 1920 x 1440 display never uses and lowers it to 1440 x 900 and they only get the 1920 x 1440 because it's better?

I'm no expert on this. I'm only posting what I know and what I've read.

Is quad-core worth it nowadays? I know when it first came out, there weren't many programs that utilized it to it's full potential, thus making it rather pointless to get. I'm wondering if it's still like that. My choice right now is a 2.0ghz quad-core or a 2.4 Dual-core. I'm going to be using the laptop as my workstation, desktop, and mobile gaming center. So I need the best processor.

Also, is there a huge difference between WUXGA and WXGA+ ? On that note, is there a huge, noticeable difference between a 1920 x 1200 and 1440 x 900 display? Both monitors are 17".

Theres these two laptops. One of them has the 1920 x 1440 display. It seems that everyone wants to get this version. However, I've also read that the people who get the 1920 x 1440 display never uses and lowers it to 1440 x 900 and they only get the 1920 x 1440 because it's better?

I'm no expert on this. I'm only posting what I know and what I've read.

From the sounds of it you're choosing a business laptop? I certainly choose the higher resolution, it's worth it :)

Quad might or might not be useful, what applications are you going to be running beside games? A lot of multimedia stuff? 3D development?

From the sounds of it you're choosing a business laptop? I certainly choose the higher resolution, it's worth it :)

Quad might or might not be useful, what applications are you going to be running beside games? A lot of multimedia stuff? 3D development?

Mainly games. Another bulk is Microsoft office, Sony Vegas Pro, and Photoshop.

Also, is the higher resolution really all that noticeable?

Edited by mikozee

Yes, if it's between 1440x900 and 1920x1200, it will be incredibly noticeable. That's a huge difference in resolution real estate.

If you have the money to get a quad core laptop, by all means, go for it. It'll only get faster in the near future as more programs come out that take advantage of the cores.

Though the term "laptop" is a misnomer, because with a quad core in a laptop, it'll be suicide to put that thing ON your lap :P

I think if you even have to ask, dual core @ higher clock speed will be better for you... you should already know if you are going to need 4-way SMP processing, and if you don't know what that means, then you don't need it :)

Not to mention a quad is going to suck a bit more juice than a dual and lower your battery life. If gaming is your main concern and it has to be a laptop then you want to pay more attention to the video card and resolution. The higher resolution will look nicer but it will also put more strain on a low end card.