Velociraptor: Can One Remove The Frame?

MINDSCI

If I remember correctly the Raptor has the power requirements of a standard 3.5" hard drive. That alone won't work in a laptop nevermind the fact that it's twice as thick...

That and you'll void your warranty. :\

Its nice to see that the people posting replies here are reading the thread author's posts :rolleyes:

I'll agree with Lego that the heatsink is probably more for the bling factor, I bet it runs fine without it. That said I doubt it fits well in a laptop and even if it did, it would get very warm. A laptop drive enclosure I'd say might be worth a try but whats your main objective?

A small drive - get a cheaper laptop drive.

A large capacity drive - get a cheap 500GB or 1TB and enclose it in a slightly bigger case.

A large capacity and tiny drive - spend a lot on the raptor I guess...

As for voiding the warranty I don't see how it could, its probably got some screws and some messy TIM but its not like you're taking the lid off the drive or anything that would likely kill it.

Just because it's simple doesn't mean it won't void the warranty. You try to get warranty service on a drive where the heatsink was removed and the company can easily deny coverage by saying you voided the warranty by using it in a way it wasn't intended.

Also, have you ever used a Raptor? Those suckers get HOT. Without proper ventilation, they won't work. The 3.5" models have heatsinks built onto the drives themselves.

OK here's the deal,

The Raptor was not designed using a 2.5" notebook HD form factor. The reason for the smaller size is power. It takes much less power to spin a small platter at 10,000rpm's than a large platter. The advances in platter density paved the way for the more power efficient drives. Also the platter size contributes significantly to the random access and seek times, (less distance for the heads to travel.)

The cooling solution was originaly designed as a means to use a 2.5" drive in a 3.5" bay but the cooling fins were added later to help pro-long the life of the drive and reduce warranty issues.

DO NOT try and install a raptor in a notebook. If you can manage to stuff it in the hole and get the adaptors to change over to a notebook SATA plug you may fry your PSU and or the traces to the HD power leads. The power required to spin up the raptor is well beyond even a standard 7200 rpm 2.5" drive.

Most of this is from memory from google searches that I did when the velociraptors first came out so if you think my info is wrong google it yourself and post the results.