Force Resolution On External Tv

TheSaw

Hy, i have an Acer Aspire 5100 laptop with some onboard ATI Radeon Xpress Series gfx "card". As you may already guessed, I also have a Sony Bravia 40", and I want to connect it to this laptop via a VGA cable (obsolete, but it's all i can do atm). I had no problems at all doing this, everything worked fine, but the TV has a resolution of 1366 x 768 (at least that's what the specs say). Obviously the Catalyst Control Center doesn't show this option, nor allows me to force it, and the Windows properties isn't more usefull either. I googled all over about this, and the only thing i found that might work, was the registry hack for forcing a resolution, but since i can't try it out until tomorrow, i'd rather search for more orthodox methods to do it. The 100 pixels difference in the screen width doesn't bother me, i could live with that, but i noticed some horizontal lines (likes 5-6 of them) on the TV screen, flickering, and I thought the wrong resolution might cause this. So, I'm asking you to help me force the resolution on the external Tv somehow.

Here are the TV specs if they are of any use: Sony Bravia 40"

My CCC shows way higher resolutions, I really doubt this screen can go that far (2048x1536), but it doesn't show the one i need.

Thx for any help.

Hy, i have an Acer Aspire 5100 laptop with some onboard ATI Radeon Xpress Series gfx "card". As you may already guessed, I also have a Sony Bravia 40", and I want to connect it to this laptop via a VGA cable (obsolete, but it's all i can do atm). I had no problems at all doing this, everything worked fine, but the TV has a resolution of 1366 x 768 (at least that's what the specs say). Obviously the Catalyst Control Center doesn't show this option, nor allows me to force it, and the Windows properties isn't more usefull either. I googled all over about this, and the only thing i found that might work, was the registry hack for forcing a resolution, but since i can't try it out until tomorrow, i'd rather search for more orthodox methods to do it. The 100 pixels difference in the screen width doesn't bother me, i could live with that, but i noticed some horizontal lines (likes 5-6 of them) on the TV screen, flickering, and I thought the wrong resolution might cause this. So, I'm asking you to help me force the resolution on the external Tv somehow.

Here are the TV specs if they are of any use: Sony Bravia 40"

My CCC shows way higher resolutions, I really doubt this screen can go that far (2048x1536), but it doesn't show the one i need.

Thx for any help.

The HTPC crowd is very fond of a little utility called Powerstrip that might be able to help you out. Here's a nice little writeup about it with links: http://www.ramelectronics.net/powerstrip.ep

Advanced display properties doesn't have a secondary monitor option panel?

It has but it doesn't have the resolution i want.

The HTPC crowd is very fond of a little utility called Powerstrip that might be able to help you out. Here's a nice little writeup about it with links: http://www.ramelectronics.net/powerstrip.ep

I tried with this tool, it has really advanced features, but when i tried to set the desired resolution, it got even worse.

I found an option on the TV to stretch the image horizontally, this way it fills it entirely, and the noises are gone too, so i will leave it as it is.

Thx for the help guys :)