Amd Compared To Intel

I am looking into buying a new computer and I am probably gonna go AMD. I was just wondering if I am correct in thinking that an AMD 2500+ means it will perform the same as a Pentium 2.5 GHz? Also, is there anywhere I can go that lists the GHz of all the AMD processors.

nope. a 2.4C performs better than a 2500+. I still dont see why people are comparing the PR numbers with intel. THat was suppose to be amd's comparison against T-birds ( i think thats what they were called, it was something of their own tho) The C line of intels are really good but they will run you for alot more money than the 2500+. IMHO the 2500+ is the best price/performance cpu u can get but keep in mind it wont give u as much power as an intel. I could probably tell u all the GHZ of amd xp procs off hand but im too lazy so im just gunna say that the 2500+ is 1.83ghz since thats that one u asked about.

ziggy you're right on with the actual clock speed there. and yes AMD is better for the $$$, intel is better at the clock speed vs the XP rating system. Though a 2500+ will give a 2.4c a good run in gaming and day to day apps, the 2.4c shines if you're going to be doing any high end MM work, such as encoding video or audio, burning dvds ect.

Now the rating system on the athlon 64 chips is a little clsoer to reality. the 3200+ there will give the P4 3.2ghz a good run for the $$$ (same price range too). The FX and the P4EE also battle it out in the price war and the peformance war. However the athlons DO have an advantage that is as of right now untapped by the average user, and that's the 64 bit instruction set. the P4 obviously lacks in that department.