Home Filesharing Network

Kuronin

Hey guys, I have a file server/print server on my home network. Normally, I am running 3 hardwired rigs, 1 desktop with WLAN, 3 laptops and the file server which is a desktop that runs on WLAN :O

So, you see the problem. I usually store files upwards of 1-2GB on my server PC and it takes soooooo long to transfer files, so I thought I would get some new network hardware.

First, a new wireless router.

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=LI...B-R&cat=NET

Then some PCMCIA adapters, 2 since my newest laptop supports N.

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=WPC300N&cat=NET

a USB adapter for the desktop.

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=LI...B-R&cat=NET

Then, I plan to hardwire the file server, so

A new NIC

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=CX...9SC&cat=NET

Oh and is CAT6 faster than CAT5 or will there be no difference?

And I am on a budget, so if you guys recommend anything make sure its not ridiculously expensive.

Since you're on a budget, have you exhausted your resources to improve file transfers, that don't involve buying new hardware? Are you using all Windows operating systems, and all windows networking file transfer? If so, you're losing a lot of file transfer speed to Windows overhead. The first thing to try is using FTP for your network file transfers, instead of windows networking. Put a free and lite FTP server on your main fileserver, like FileZilla, and use an FTP client like the FileZilla client to perform your network transfers via FTP. FTP transfer require less overhead than windows networking, and can usually show several MB/s improvement in your transfers.

Another alternative that can improve the efficiency of your network transfers is using a more file storage based OS on your file server, that doesn't include additional components not in use, yet still eating up resources. I am of course referring to a linux based distribution. I use OpenFiler on my file servers at home. You don't need to be a linux junkie to use it, as all setup and file management operations are handled from a friendly web interface. The distribution only contains components relevant to file sharing and file server, thus reducing overhead and clutter on your fileserver.

Hopefully these free options can be used to squeeze extra MB/s out of your file transfers, good luck!

slow transfers are normal with wifi, i gota wifi router but i dont use the wifi, i use lan cables, and would recommend the same to desktops.

get cat 5e or cat 6 lan cables to support gbit lan, make sure ur current router or ur new router will support gbit lan.

since wifi n is at the 600Mbit rating, and i believe u are now running 100mbit lan and wifi at maybe 54mbit to ur server, there would be an improvement. i'd say, get the new router with gbit lan and wifi n support, and try to see with ur newest laptop if there is an improvement in transfer speeds to the server, which like u said, would be hardwired to gbit lan. hope i helped

both posters make valid points....

this is what I did....

1st of I have XPpro on my server as the OS and I use the minimal install I can get away with on a normal install then I trim services I dont need...may it helps and maybe it doesnt but thats me...

then I bought a cheap 30.00 Trendnet Gigabit switch...I hook ALL networked PCs to that switch and let the router handle the wireless ones...

The server should be hard wired and if the onboard isnt a quality Gigabit Nic then I would think about adding an Intel Gigabit card (45.00) most of the time the onboard Nic will be fine...

Just by adding the Gigabit switch I went from 35MB/s transfers to 100MB/s transfers which is plenty fast...I move 1gig files in less than 15seconds...

Personally I would switch the file server over to a Linux distro (I prefer Slackware) and then run it as either a Samba server or as a FTP server (PureFTPd). You should be able to use CUPS to keep it as a print server as well. If this isn't an option for you, then you might consider switching from Win XP to Windows 2000 Server.

Another option for file server would be to purchase a NAS system rather than relying on a physical system. You can get them these days in a RAID setup which is pretty nice... even some modern (more expensive) routers will include a USB port or two allowing you to use the router as a file and/or print server.

Obviously, stay away from wireless as much as possible. Signal strength, outside interference, and even the wireless encryption will slow things down.

From a future proofing perspective, you should go with Cat 6 over cat 5e. Cat 6 is technically better, however I doubt you'll notice any major difference between the two.

Linux is free as well...so it's a viable option...

it's just more work to get networking up on all the machines between windows machines and the Linux box...

if you dont mind reading and finding good guides Linux maybe a great way to go...

I used Windows just for a simplified purpose...

I should have mentioned as well..I just set the server next to the router as a stand alone box...it has no keyboard/mouse or monitor...

I use Remote Desktop to access it and do everything I need...it does it fast and efficiently and we access it from any PC in the house...

the reason being is my wife isnt as PC literate as I think I am...this is very simple for her as well...we use the server for more of a media server...with the addition of the server we managed to save about 200.00 per year in DVD players that go bad...

she like the idea very much of watching movies via the HTPC pulling from the server...

I have shown her how to properly back up our DVD collection to the server so she can do it when I am not around...this saves a ton of money alone on the kids movies...

Hurray for movies with digital copies on the disk...just for this purpose

• 2 weeks later...
Linux is free as well...so it's a viable option...

it's just more work to get networking up on all the machines between windows machines and the Linux box...

if you dont mind reading and finding good guides Linux maybe a great way to go...

I used Windows just for a simplified purpose...

I should have mentioned as well..I just set the server next to the router as a stand alone box...it has no keyboard/mouse or monitor...

I use Remote Desktop to access it and do everything I need...it does it fast and efficiently and we access it from any PC in the house...

the reason being is my wife isnt as PC literate as I think I am...this is very simple for her as well...we use the server for more of a media server...with the addition of the server we managed to save about 200.00 per year in DVD players that go bad...

she like the idea very much of watching movies via the HTPC pulling from the server...

I have shown her how to properly back up our DVD collection to the server so she can do it when I am not around...this saves a ton of money alone on the kids movies...

Hurray for movies with digital copies on the disk...just for this purpose

Having a HTPC that maps to a server changed my life.

I backup all my DVD's and blurays to mkv's and have never looked back......have over 1.7TB just in HD movies at this point....have been running gigabit LAN to every room in the house for a long time now and its awseome in every way. I also still have a G network at the house that is powered by a Linksys router running DD-WRT firmware and its awesome for laptops that frequent my household.

If AT ALL possible stay away from wireless. There are just too many things that can and will go wrong.