Poor Hd-tach Results

Nerm

I am working on a new server that has 3 160GB Sata 3G drives in Raid-5 that is experiencing severe slow down issues especially when workstations access files on the mapped drive of the server. The following screenshot is of a results windows from a run of HD-Tach. Anyone think I have found my problem to be one of the drives in the raid array. I am almost certain the dips in performance this is showing periodically is not normal.

hdd_test.jpg

I had a Dell 2950 with the same issues but with SAS drives. Turned out to be a bad drive in the array, bought a new one re-built the array and we were good to go. I have also had a Dell 2850 server with the same issue turned out to be a combination of BIOS update, chipset drivers, and the SCSI backplane update for the server.

If you don't mind me asking is this a custom built server, or a pre-built type IE. Dell, HP or something?

It is a Systemax server. It runs a small network acting as the DC, DNS, DHCP, and file server. Nothing across the network has performance issues until a client goes to access a file in the mapped share on the server.

i see its a intel raid solution ... is the intel storage console installed? that might tell you if a drive is experiencing problems.

Yes it is installed but it is not reporting any problems.

Worst thing is so many programs that are x64 compatible run at x32 in task manager. But I guess with 4GB and the Quad, speed is not an issue with Vista x64, only compatibility. So I am only testing, I will be migrating back to XP x32 more than likely unless XP x64 gives me better compat.