Unmountable_boot_volume?

XiXVenomXiX

So a friend recently lent me his HP computer so I could fix it but he threw out all discs a long time ago. When I got it it was randomly restarting at the Windows splash screen. After a while the error I got was "UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME". Hell I gave this computer the full test suite. I checked faulty everything but I believe its the HDD. So is the hard drive dead or can I fix it?

So a friend recently lent me his HP computer so I could fix it but he threw out all discs a long time ago. When I got it it was randomly restarting at the Windows splash screen. After a while the error I got was "UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME". Hell I gave this computer the full test suite. I checked faulty everything but I believe its the HDD. So is the hard drive dead or can I fix it?

Try to use either gw scan or the windows chkdsk to see if you can fix problems. That sometimes helps. Is it ide or sata?

Yeah try booting up off a windows cd, and you can burn gw scan to a cd if you have another pc. Sometimes the bios settings for the hard drives can be off ( i usually only find that happens with new builds after ghosting them but hey, worth a shot). You can check the settings to make sure legacy setting are/are not set. That and the gw scan/chkdsk.

I guess the windows disk is the best option:

1. Insert your XP installation disk into an optical drive and boot up your computer.

2. When you see a welcome screen, hit the R key on your keyboard. This will enter you into recovery mode with a DOS prompt.

3. Now type chkdsk /p and hit Enter. This will launch a utility which will check for errors on your hard drive.

4. After the process is done, type fixboot and hit Enter to repair any damaged boot files which may have become corrupted. When asked to say yes or no, type the Y key on your keyboard.

5. Type exit and press the Enter key to reboot your computer.

If none of the above suggestions solves the issue I would recommend running a hard drive diagnostics utility on the drive. A lot of times that specific error is caused by a bad or failing hard drive.

May wanna be careful with fixmbr... it's been known to occasionally corrupt the boot sector (and if you're booting more than one OS, it'll probably hose your boot loader). Only run it as a last resort.

This is a common windows error when the PC is restarted too many times improperly (i.e BSODs or hitting the reset button while in Windows). redtigerdragon's solution will fix this corruption (95% of the time, anyway ;) )