New To Overclocking

timw86

Hey guys, I'm new to the whole overclocking thing. But from what I heard the i7 920 is the easiest to overclock. I just have a few questions. Does anyone know what is the maximum stable clock speed it can reach? What kind of cooling is best for overclocking the i7, considering that I don't plan to go to the maximum? Which is a better board for OC, the asus p6t deluxe or the EVGA 132-BL-E758-A1? And what kind of power supply do I need when I overclock(850w 950w, 1000w?), considering that I will also be running a gtx295 graphics card? Any help here would be greatly appreciated. thanks!

Edited by timw86

the p6t is widely used so it's safe to assume that it's a great board, not to say the EVGA board is not but I've never heard anyone who has one. You could be the first and share your experience with it for us :D.

As for the max overclock you should probably ever run it at would be 4.0ghz, because going beyond that is not an issue with heat it's the fact that any more would overvolt and quickly destroy the integrated memory controller in the CPU.

I know they make a Thermalright 120 Extreme for you 1366 pinners out there, that's a proven winner. I love my Thermalright 120 Extreme (775 edition), I'll go check out some but that'd be a good solid start there.

I really like the new fan holders for it 5.JPG, a nice improvement over those annoying fan clips that come with 775 TRUEs, though it looks like running two fans would be impossible now :(

I know they make a Thermalright 120 Extreme for you 1366 pinners out there, that's a proven winner. I love my Thermalright 120 Extreme (775 edition), I'll go check out some but that'd be a good solid start there.

hmm, they don't seem to have thermalright on neweggs, or am I not looking in the right place? My major question is how long a cpu can hold a overclocked speed? Nothing extreme like 4.0 ghz but something like 3.6ghz. Is there some rule about how long it could go before its fried?

Any suggestions on power supply? Im looking at a antec 850w, not sure if thats going to be enough though.

hmm, they don't seem to have thermalright on neweggs, or am I not looking in the right place? My major question is how long a cpu can hold a overclocked speed? Nothing extreme like 4.0 ghz but something like 3.6ghz. Is there some rule about how long it could go before its fried?

Any suggestions on power supply? Im looking at a antec 850w, not sure if thats going to be enough though.

it's all different with each CPU, just read up on what the max voltages are (in your case I believe it's 1.65v CPU/Memory) and also i believe it's unsafe to go over 4.0ghz on I7's. As long as you keep a processor cool you should be ok, my processor is beyond safe measures right now but I'm keeping it cool so I think it will last. Everyone thinks it will be dead within months but I think it can keep going strong. In your case I really wouldn't push the unsafe envelope since your processor overclocks entirely different then mine

as for the Thermalright cooler, you can actual get the 775 and but 1366 mounting brackets to retrofit it onto your processor but here's the newer version of it.

Depends on the voltage you have it running at. It shouldn't take the Core I7 much voltage to have it running stable at 3.6GHz.

It's hard to say how long it will last as there is no definite answer for that, but an overclocked processor should last you enough for your next upgrade.

Hmm, well here's a stupid question. If I were to buy a 1100W power supply but my system is only using 750W, is the power supply still going to draw 1100W of electricity or is it only going to draw 750W? (should have paid more attention in physics)

Just wondering because I plan to tri sli in the future and that's gonna crank up the power consumption and I don't wanna have to buy a new power supply.

Whats up man... I just recently overclocked my core i7 920 and it is, infact, unbelievably easy. At least it was using my Asus p6t deluxe. I couldnt tell ya much about the other board...but on this board, OC is easy. I got mine to 3.2ghz (20%) with 1 change in the bios and I could easily push it to 3.8 but, thats as high as I would go. There are fanatics who have it at 4.1 or so, but I wouldnt reccomend that haha. The biggest thing about OC is the temps.... You really push a OC'd 920 and it IS going to get hot...even more so then previous chips. So...to answer your questions:

1) Yes....the 920 is easily overclocked and the asus p6t deluxe is my board of choice...of course, Im biased, but It was my first OC too and it was very easy and smooth.

2) Like Ivy said, 2 CPU coolers come to mind ( I know cause I've narrowed it down to these 2):

a) Coolermaster V8..looks cool

b) TRUE Thermalright...seems to be top-notch

Those are the two Im gonna choose from because they are the best 2 right now.....

3) Finally...I think a 1100watt psu is a bit much for a single GTX 295, a bit overkill. Newegg states that the min requirement is 650 watts so do what you want, but 1100 is a bit much.... now if you were running 2-3 of them, then maybe..?

This is my power supply which Im using to run my core i7 setup in my signature with a gtx 260 216 on the way and it is said to be of great quality:

Blue Silencer

All in all...it comes down personal preference, but these are suggestions of mine and I give them to you, cause I've seen them work :thumbs-up:

Whats up man... I just recently overclocked my core i7 920 and it is, infact, unbelievably easy. At least it was using my Asus p6t deluxe. I couldnt tell ya much about the other board...but on this board, OC is easy. I got mine to 3.2ghz (20%) with 1 change in the bios and I could easily push it to 3.8 but, thats as high as I would go. There are fanatics who have it at 4.1 or so, but I wouldnt reccomend that haha. The biggest thing about OC is the temps.... You really push a OC'd 920 and it IS going to get hot...even more so then previous chips. So...to answer your questions:

1) Yes....the 920 is easily overclocked and the asus p6t deluxe is my board of choice...of course, Im biased, but It was my first OC too and it was very easy and smooth.

2) Like Ivy said, 2 CPU coolers come to mind ( I know cause I've narrowed it down to these 2):

a) Coolermaster V8..looks cool

b) TRUE Thermalright...seems to be top-notch

Those are the two Im gonna choose from because they are the best 2 right now.....

3) Finally...I think a 1100watt psu is a bit much for a single GTX 295, a bit overkill. Newegg states that the min requirement is 650 watts so do what you want, but 1100 is a bit much.... now if you were running 2-3 of them, then maybe..?

This is my power supply which Im using to run my core i7 setup in my signature with a gtx 260 216 on the way and it is said to be of great quality:

Blue Silencer

All in all...it comes down personal preference, but these are suggestions of mine and I give them to you, cause I've seen them work :thumbs-up:

ya everything he said, but if you already have a 750W keep it, you do not need anything other than that. I don't see 2 295 gtx's, and 8 harddrives in your computer so 750W is MORE than enough. They take into account the rest of the system into account when they say "minimum 650W". Also power supplies don't their maximum wattage all the time, they would draw whatever they need with a few watts over that lost in whatever degree of inefficiency the PSU offers.

I don't think they have Tri-SLI for 295s anyway.

gtx-295_chart-15.png

well, I have 1 gtx 295, 1 WD 750GB harddrive, 1 i7 920 CPU. 1 asus p6t, But will upgrade later to

2 gtx 295's

1 750GB Harddrive

1 1TB Harddrive

1 i7 920 CPU Overclocked to 3.7 ghz

1 asus p6t motherboard

I think those together might draw more than 850 watts of power, especially on load. What do you guys think?