So I Bought 10 80mm Fans..

yesiamhuman

I bought 10 80mm case fans since I got a cheap case, 30$ Coolermaster. It only came with 1 120mm fan, which is fine since I hear their cases have good airflow. I plan on using at least 5 of these fans, my motherboard has about 4 fan slots as far as I can tell. This is a first build and I have looked online for anything about case fans and connectors. I can't find any good information. The fans have 3 / 4 pin connectors, but idk where to go from there.

Is there a limit on how many fans I can run in my pc? That's what I am trying to ask, idk anything about what to do if there are not enough fan slots on the motherboard. Do I just plug them directly into the power supply?

Here are the links. TYVM to any who reply :)

Motherboard

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16813128345

Power supply

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16817139008

80mm fans

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16835150007

Case

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16811119161

Edited by yesiamhuman

It seems there are just two fan mounting positions in that case, though they do look like the type which will accept 120mm, 92mm and 80mm fans.

So with the 120mm fan already mounted at the rear that leaves you with a grand total of one mounting position in the case without doing any modding or ghetto rigging.

Personally I'd rather just have another 120mm up front.

there's nothing wrong with ghetto rigging!

Didn't say there was anything wrong with it, and you probably could do something interesting with a few 80mm fans.

Whether it would improve cooling much is another story. Ghetto rigging is best left for spot cooling hot components if you ask me.

Didn't say there was anything wrong with it, and you probably could do something interesting with a few 80mm fans.

Whether it would improve cooling much is another story. Ghetto rigging is best left for spot cooling hot components if you ask me.

:withstupid:

More fans doesn't always mean better cooling. You may very well make the airflow worse with that many fans, and you'll definitely make the case much louder.

If it was me, I'd slap another quiet 120mm up front and call it good. But to each their own, I guess.

LOL I meant that I was only going to be using 5 of the 80mm fans, I will probably put 2 in front if they fit, and I am going to tie one on my northbridge on the motherboard. I got 10 because it was reduced price in bulk, and backups are always handy. I'm taking into account the CPU fan, the 120mm included, the power supply fan (?) and the front, but I was asking if I could possibly plug up 10 80mm fans. And where would i plug them in at? Do I need to buy something in order to plug in more than my motherboard allows?

Nice ghetto rig btw :)

There is a mounting for one front fan, so it might be tough trying to shoehorn two in there.

As for plugging in more fans, you can plug in as many as you have connectors for.

As the fans you linked have both a 3 pin connector and a 4pin pass-through molex connector then if you run out of headers on your motherboard you can just plug them straight into your power supply's connectors.

You could easily run all 10 if you wanted to basically. :)

There is a mounting for one front fan, so it might be tough trying to shoehorn two in there.

As for plugging in more fans, you can plug in as many as you have connectors for.

As the fans you linked have both a 3 pin connector and a 4pin pass-through molex connector then if you run out of headers on your motherboard you can just plug them straight into your power supply's connectors.

You could easily run all 10 if you wanted to basically. :)

Ok, that's what I was looking for. Thanks jammin!

I'll see what I do, I have been reading up on builds lately. This is my first one and I want to make sure I do everything right and keep everything cool. I agree with everyone who says that too many fans can decrease airflow. I'll try my case with a few fans at a time and check the temp from there and work from that.

TY everyone with your fast responses :thumbs-up: