Cpu Voltage Issue

Baulten

Hi all,

I ordered a Phenom II 940, so I thought I'd put a little bit more voltage to my chip and see just how high I can get it stable. However, I've encountered a strange issue. Increasing the voltage in BIOS is not registering in CPUz or any other program. In BIOS, it reads correctly. In windows, it reads wrong. Does anyone know what could be causing this?

Voltage readings on Windows are never accurate but it should still vary if you're changing it from the BIOS.

Is the chip clocking better from additional voltage or not at all? Do you have the latest BIOS for your board?

Does your board have the correct wattage for the Phenom 2? Also, does it support the AM3 socket? Other people claim to have OC'd the Phenom 2, but I wouldn't be surprised it AMD flucked up their chips again.

Does your board have the correct wattage for the Phenom 2? Also, does it support the AM3 socket? Other people claim to have OC'd the Phenom 2, but I wouldn't be surprised it AMD flucked up their chips again.

You succesfully confused me :D

OP are you talking about OC your phenom 2 or your current CPU

Also Bios is much more accurate but if your voltage is not increasing at all in windows you may have a problem. Each time you go into BIOS has it reset itself. When you increase the voltage by how much(it could be your doing it by to small of an amount). And does any OC register in the BIOS?

Woop, sorry! What I MEANT is that I ordered the Phenom II, and it gets here Monday. I'm still using my Athlon X2 5200+.

But in any case, it was working fine a few days ago. All I've done since then is some work on my case which really shouldn't have effected anything. The increased voltage is not helping stability at all. I have the latest BIOS. Overclocking registers fine, but no voltage change shows up in any program, including OCCT, SmartGuardian (Temp/volt reader that came with board), AMD OverDrive, and CPUz. The BIOS shows the voltage change. I tried small increments to no avail, so I bumped it up a whole .15V to what should be 1.48-1.5V, and still nothing.

Woop, sorry! What I MEANT is that I ordered the Phenom II, and it gets here Monday. I'm still using my Athlon X2 5200+.

But in any case, it was working fine a few days ago. All I've done since then is some work on my case which really shouldn't have effected anything. The increased voltage is not helping stability at all. I have the latest BIOS. Overclocking registers fine, but no voltage change shows up in any program, including OCCT, SmartGuardian (Temp/volt reader that came with board), AMD OverDrive, and CPUz. The BIOS shows the voltage change. I tried small increments to no avail, so I bumped it up a whole .15V to what should be 1.48-1.5V, and still nothing.

What is it clocked at right now 3.1 or have you gotten it higher?

It's at 3.1, perfectly stable. However, I can't get it any stabler higher without voltage increase (I tried this already). So, I went to increase voltage, and, bam, doesn't seem to be working.

Edit: Couple more details. What I did prior to this problem: Removed my two 1 GB sticks, since they don't match my 2 GB sticks perfectly and I never utilize more than 4 GB anyway. I moved my cabling behind my motherboard try to make more room in my case for airflow. I added two fans, giving me 6 120 mm fans total. Every other voltage (RAM voltage, north/southbridge, etc.) work fine. It's just my vcore that isn't working. I updated to the lastest beta BIOS for my board to see if it would fix it, but it doesn't seem to have. I'm going to wait and see if switching to the Phenom II fixes it. I'm not sure what's wrong right now : /

Edited by Baulten