Overclocking On An Amd Athlon X2 5200+

Baulten

I just got a decent cooler (Zalman 9500A) for my CPU and gave it my first shot at overclocking. I was able to push it to 3.1 GHz on stock voltage (1.35V) and ran it through a 3DMark Vantage test with no problems.

I've still got a few questions though. I'm running on a DFI 790FX-M2RS motherboard (NB: 790FX, SB: SB600), and I have the latest BIOS (plan to upgrade to a Phenom II 940). I could not find an option anywhere to change the HTT multiplier. Most guides/posts about overclocking this chip had suggested dropping the HTT Multiplier to 4 instead of 5. Does anyone who owns/owned this board know where this option is?

Secondly, I'm sure I could push the chip a little further with some overvolting. What kind of voltages are safe on this chip?

Thanks for the help!

Edit: Thought I'd add a few things. I'm running on G.Skill DDR2 800 RAM timed at 5-5-5-15, 2 sticks of 1 GB and 2 sticks of 2 GB at 1.9V. I've got a GTX 260 video card (EVGA).

Edit 2: (Last One I promise) http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=473570 Here's the validation.

post-65598-1230664484_thumb.jpg

Edited by Baulten

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Multiplier is usually called the HT Frequency Ratio on most AMD based systems.

If you cant find it, try pressing ENTER on some of the options you might think are the multiplier and looking for variables such as 1x', '1.5x', '2x', '2.5x', '3x', '4x', '5x' and 'Auto'.

I figured out the HyperTransport multiplier. It's rather obscure and not labled as multiplier. But, I found it.

It was simply labled as the hypertransport speed. 1GHz, 800 MHz, etc. rather than multiplier.

Edited by Baulten

Yeah, I don't know why it's labeled that way. It's in the subcategory "HT Link Control" and it's called "HT Link Frequency" and it functions as the multiplier. 1 GHz is x5, 800 Mhz is x4, and so on.

Update: Got it to 3.27 GHz stable at 1.4V. Ram is at 1.9V and my HT Link is at 242 MHz with a x4 multiplier. What voltage is safe on this chip?

Edited by Baulten

Turns out that clock wasn't completely stable. I shut down and got a BSOD. Gonna mess with settings a bit and see if I can get it stable. Might have to back it off a bit. My temps while stressing that were in the low to mid 40Cs.

Right now I'm trying to get a stable 3.3 but I'm at over 1.45V and am having trouble getting a stable system. Looks like about 3.2 is going to be where I cap out.

Thats a pretty good chip you have their keep it up ;)

EDIT: Oh its a Brisbane, did not see that, Im so used to my 5200 and it being a Windsor. It wouldn't clock nearly as good as I expected. Brisbanes do tend to overclock better though, that explains it. I was beginning to get a bit jealous :P

Have fun.

Edited by damian

I have run 1.55v through all the my Brisbane cores without a problem...you should be able to hit 3.4ghz with dialing in the ram....

once you get the ram right 3.6ghz may be within reach....good luck

Eh, I would be getting temperatures higher than I'd like at those kind of clocks. I had to back it off to 3.24 already due to a single crash (I think it was a fluke, but I'm not willing to risk it). I might try to push it higher just for fun, but not today. Maybe once I order my Phenom II ;)

And yeah, it's a Brisbane. I bought it back before I knew as much about PC's, or I might have went with something slightly better. Plan on upgrading to either a PII 940 or an A7750 BE, but I've gotta get a few things sorted out financially first.

Anyway, been stable @ 3.24 for the past hour now. I may try pushing it higher, but again, I'm running into the 40C's now, and I don't want to burn up my chip. Thanks for the help folks :thumbs-up:

Edit: I got OCCT and did some testing, unfortunately I wasn't able to get it stable till 3.1 GHz, which I"m testing right now.

Are there any other solutions to eliminate such errors or is backing off the OC the only way? I'm back at stock voltage now.

Edited by Baulten

I'm pretty sure that the HT link frequency is just that the Ht link frequency. The HT link does not like to be messed with alot. That could be why you are unstable right now. I mean x5 sounds like a low multiplier on that cpu. your cpuz also shows that your multi is at 13.5 not 5.