Monitor Help

abid

hey guys.. my friend wants to buy new LCD screen....... so he cant decide what resolution he wants to buy.. either 17 or 19inch... can u guys help me? give me the answer in resolution not inch... here is the pc specs....

intel pentium 4 @ 2.66GHz

MSI mobo

ATI 2600XT AGP X8 512MB 128BIT

500w PSU

2GB RAM DDR 333

thanks....

Edited by abid

1280x1024 is the standard res for all 19inch non-widescreen LCDs.

1440x900 for a 19inch widescreen LCDs.

Another option would be 1680x1050 for a 19inch widescreen, but ATI2600 will probably has problems with this resolution in new games. For a non-gaming usage this resolution would be OK.

17inch is a way too small size for a new LCD monitor. Are these still manufactured?

One more advice - the price difference between 19inch widescreen and 22inch widescreen is quite small, so I would suggest to spend a little extra cash for 22inch.

Hes using the computer for gaming..... 1440x900 is cool right for gaming using that specs?

lol... im just using 1204x768.... it is satisfying.....

Edited by abid

Depends on the games he wants to play. He shouldn't expect to play Crysis with AA at that resolution.

But most games should be playable with quality settings set to medium. Aren't there reviews of his card (or of generic 2600XT) on the web?

Hes using the computer for gaming..... 1440x900 is cool right for gaming using that specs?

lol... im just using 1204x768.... it is satisfying.....

Abid, get a better monitor with a bigger resolution, higher resolution and lower graphical settings looks better than low resolution and higher graphical settings.

Anyways, the 19 inch widescreen would be good for your friend. I used that resolution and played games with a 7300GS, obviously on low, but it handled that nicely :)

This is kinda off-topic but, this morning I saw a Samsung HD monitor in the Best Buy flyer thing from the newspaper, and its a 22" but it says it's resolution is 1920x1200? I never knew 22" existed with that resolution. It does seem very tempting though, considering its only $280.

This is kinda off-topic but, this morning I saw a Samsung HD monitor in the Best Buy flyer thing from the newspaper, and its a 22" but it says it's resolution is 1920x1200? I never knew 22" existed with that resolution. It does seem very tempting though, considering its only $280.

I might also be an mistake. Verify the specs on internet. :)

If your friend wants to play recent games at 1440x900 then some other upgrades would be a wise idea (AGP really is getting rather old now).

The points others have made about larger monitors are also valid. With 22" models being so affordable now, it almost seems a shame to go much smaller if you are buying a new monitor.

What is he currently using?

off topic - Yes Samsung makes a 1920x1200 22" monitor - Syncmaster T220P