Bad Sata Cable...?

itsernst

I had a RAID 1 on my O/S drives and one of my drives predicted failure. I RMA'd it to Seagate and just got it back today. I installed it and when I started my PC up, it would not POST. I thought it may be the drive, RAID Controller...nothing. I swapped SATA Cables, and it will boot up. Tried the "bad" cable and nothing. PC will start up, but it will not POST. I have never seen a SATA cable cause a PC not to POST even with an O/S drive installed.

Anyone seen this? I am wondering if this may have to do with the HDD that failed, could it have crapped out the SATA cable?

iv had bad sata cables before but it was a 3footer. i did have a 6inch one not work but i was bending it all the time. but to your question its kinda rare for it to happen, try a different cord and a different port.

usually a request problem to the bios that locks the machine and causes it to refuse to POST. The old days of IDE cables, this was not that uncommon. As a computer boots, the BIOS processes hardware requests from the devices attached and powered on. If there is an interruption in this communication, POST can *and usually does* fail. Try using a different SATA cable as I bet that clears the issue up. You can also take advice of poster above and try the SATA cable you have on another computer (cables won't make your drives kick the bucket except in the most rare and extreme circumstances...there probably wasn't anything wrong with your hdd that you had replaced...probably a bad cable causing communication problem which caused the hdd's SMART bios to incorrectly deduce imminent hdd failure)

usually a request problem to the bios that locks the machine and causes it to refuse to POST. The old days of IDE cables, this was not that uncommon. As a computer boots, the BIOS processes hardware requests from the devices attached and powered on. If there is an interruption in this communication, POST can *and usually does* fail. Try using a different SATA cable as I bet that clears the issue up. You can also take advice of poster above and try the SATA cable you have on another computer (cables won't make your drives kick the bucket except in the most rare and extreme circumstances...there probably wasn't anything wrong with your hdd that you had replaced...probably a bad cable causing communication problem which caused the hdd's SMART bios to incorrectly deduce imminent hdd failure)

Well...the HDD was bad; When I would move the drive, it sounded like nails bouncing around in a tin can. :D Something was definitely broke in the HDD, but SATA cable seems like it is bunk now as well. Kind of a strange situation. Good thing I have unlimited computer resources at work.

Thanks for the input guys.