Overclock E8400 ( Total Newb! )

Rickz

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1.4V for your CPU? omg lol isn't that a little high? you must have some wicked cooling lol!

not really, the GRAS (generally regarded as safe) max voltage on these things is about 1.4v and no higher than 1.45v but you have to keep temps under control.

btw, i have a C0 revision chip, so that is why mine takes more voltage to get the same clock speed, yours is generally a better overclocker. I had no way to pick what revision i got (bought it on newegg) so that's why.

i tried to get 3.6, but just won't boot, should i just keep ramping up the vcore if it won't boot till it gets there or what???

Leave the Vcore at about 1.35v, lift your ram volts to about 2.2, loosen the timings to 6-6-6-17, add a tiny bit to your northbridge voltage and if you can't make any more there is probably some other settings in BIOS (I'm not familiar with your mobo) that needs to be switched off/on, disable things like spread spectrum etc.

Read X-Bit Labs review of your board, it's quite possible you've got the ram set to "Turbo" when it needs to be set to std for proper overclocking, etc etc.

Something certainly seems to be getting in the way and I'm pretty certain you'll find it in the (somewhat complex) BIOS, sorry I can't be of more help, you'll need to read up on the specifics for your mobo rather than the rather "one size fits all" advice i've given so far.

Edited by guzzidom

Wooo! i got 3.6 stable on 1.27500 vcore(still lowering to find the sweet spot)

It was the memory multiplier that was set to auto so i set it it to 3.33d(did the math) and it booted, my temps are maxing a bout 60C on stock cooler!!

can't wait to see how i go when i get my 9700led in a few days :)

Wooo! i got 3.6 stable on 1.27500 vcore(still lowering to find the sweet spot)

It was the memory multiplier that was set to auto so i set it it to 3.33d(did the math) and it booted, my temps are maxing a bout 60C on stock cooler!!

can't wait to see how i go when i get my 9700led in a few days :)

Lol, I cant find my mem multiplyer anywhere... I looked all through BIOS and NOTHING!! i just increase the voltage to my mem and the Coltage to my e8400 and it stable at 4GHz :P i really want to find this mem multiplyer tho cause the less voltage the better!

Damn, i had it stable on 3.6 for about 1/2hr. All i have changed in the bios are vcore, mem multi, dram volts, cpu fsb and system enhance from turbo to standard. there are an abundance of other volts on auto such as cpu chl(i think), cpu reference, etc. would it help if these were changed, and if so, to what????

can someone running on air cool give me their settings so i can have a start of point like at 3.8ghz and ill just try to make it 24/7 stable coz i bot alot on games..... 4days straight is the longest i have done(BOTTING).....

and since mine is C0 revision it only went stable on prime95 for 1hour 20minutes at 1.38volts on the Vcore and settings are 423*9=3.8ghz 2.5*423=1057mhz i havent touch the mch voltage yet coz i dont know what it is on on NORMAL setting.. trying to find a program to tell me the mch voltage but no luck right now...

ddr voltage is at 2.08 i have to +.25 voltage it it to get to 2.08v timming is 5 5 5 18

can someone running on air cool give me their settings so i can have a start of point like at 3.8ghz and ill just try to make it 24/7 stable coz i bot alot on games..... 4days straight is the longest i have done(BOTTING).....

and since mine is C0 revision it only went stable on prime95 for 1hour 20minutes at 1.38volts on the Vcore and settings are 423*9=3.8ghz 2.5*423=1057mhz i havent touch the mch voltage yet coz i dont know what it is on on NORMAL setting.. trying to find a program to tell me the mch voltage but no luck right now...

ddr voltage is at 2.08 i have to +.25 voltage it it to get to 2.08v timming is 5 5 5 18

You need to do some reading, so you know what overclocking does. You also need to do some reading so that you know what the bios setting do. Nobody can give you settings that are going to work on your board. They could have the same board, memory, cpu, wont mater, because every computer is differant, no two computers are a like, and no two computers overclock the same. If you dont want to take the time to learn what your bios settings do, and how overclocking works, you sould not overclock. Learn the basics of overclocking, and what the settings in your bios do, then come back if you need help. The people here dont mind helping, but you need a basic understanding of overclocking, and your bios.

Edited by crazy8s846

What is you cpu at now? and at what voltage? and your ram? what voltage is that set to? I would, for starters first knock your latency on ur DIMM's back one notch. My cpu is at 4GHZ now and 100%stable. I had to raise the cpu voltage to 1.3Volts and the RAM voltage to 2.0volts. I also had to change the latency of my RAM from 4-4-4-16 to 5-5-5-17 and im running now at 4GHz 25C idle and 45C full load...but i have water cooling :P Crazy is right tho, you do need to have some sort of idea about what is going on. try to make changes (SMALL changes) and do a stress test after each attempt. Get youself CoreTemp to monitor ur temps. Then get Prime95 and run the test. Make sure that you have CoreTemp running during the test to monitor your temps!!!! they can raise really quickly so make sure you keep you eye on them!

let us know how u getting on.