Dell Notebooks

ClayMeow

Anyone have experience with the Inspiron 1525's and/or the Studio 15's?

There's a Black Friday Deal on an Inspiron 1525:

E-Value Code: 16254-DNPHPD4

Price: $559

They also have a Studio 15 on sale until 12/3:

E-Value Code: 16254-DNPHUD2

Price: $699

Both nice prices, but a pretty big difference between the two. They both have similar specs...the differences are:

Inspiron 1525: 250GB Hard Drive; Studio 15: 320GB Hard Drive (doesn't make a difference to me)

Inspiron 1525: Vista Home Basic; Studio 15: Vista Home Premium

Inspiron 1525: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X3100; Studio 15: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 4500MHD (not sure it matters)

Inspiron 1525: Glossy, widescreen 15.4 inch display (1280x800); Studio 15: Bright, glossy widescreen 15.4 WLED display (1280x800) (WLED supposed to be clearer and have better battery life)

Studio 15 has a backlit keyboard. (not a big deal, though almost every review speaks positively about it)

If I go with the Studio 15, is it worth $75 to upgrade to the 256MB ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3450? I don't really plan on doing any hardcore gaming (though I wouldn't mind throwing a few games on there).

The laptop will be used by my dad and myself (we're splitting the cost) whenever we travel. We've never owned a laptop...he always had an office laptop to use, but he's retiring.

Thanks.

The Studio deletes Composite/S-Video out ... just a heads-up.

For me, the Studio was a better option, because of the newer design, the better GPU options (I have the 256MB HD3650), the webcam was standard, the slot loading drive was much better than a tray (which I'd probably break), and at the time, it was

The Studio deletes Composite/S-Video out ... just a heads-up.

For me, the Studio was a better option, because of the newer design, the better GPU options (I have the 256MB HD3650), the webcam was standard, the slot loading drive was much better than a tray (which I'd probably break), and at the time, it was

I have the stock battery on a 17" ... and if I am just browsing and stuff, I get over three hours. Watching a film is only 90 minutes though, which is expected. This is acting as a desktop replacement though.

2.0 C2D; 250GB 5400 rpm drive; 256MB 3650; 17" 1440x900 TruLife; 2GB RAM; full keyboard + num pad; 2.0mp webcam; 5 USB ports; Firewire; 2x 3.5mm out; HDMI; VGA; Infra red; .... you get the idea.

I only didn't get the 15", as it didn't have the room for another internal drive. I'm going to slap another 2.5" drive in there next year when 500GB drives are cheaper.

I should think that the power consumption isn't all that bad on a 15" with dedicated graphics. Notebook review seems to have good and accurate reviews.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the comments guys. Sorry I didn't respond sooner, but I didn't wind up getting one of those. Instead, I've gotten the green light from my boss to spec out a laptop for me, so now I'll be going for something a little more powerful since I do heavy multitasking, often with resource-intensive programs like Dreamweaver, Photoshop, etc.

I'm going to most likely stick with 15.4" though. I could get 17" if I want, but my coworker has one and it's big, bulky and heavy. lol