This Is Strange

dat93

thanks for the help, right now ive only got one wired router for this computer. im going to try and get a wireless router so i can connect upstairs. the advice you gave me, do i need the internet for it? if so i i cant really do much at the moment.

why is it being stubborn and not running the graphics card driver on my usb stick! garr

Yup - you need the internet to connect to the repositories - like i said - its very similair to windows update where your PC updates itself to the latest version from the online archives. A wireless router might do the trick, although linux can be a bit funny about wireless card drivers sometimes (there will be pages of how-to guides for this online though if you google your wifi card + ubuntu - might well be worth checking compatibility first)

If you want to keep trying the drivers you downloaded in the meantime, it might be that they need compiling, or you are not extracting them properly - again, google is your friend - search for the driver name + ubuntu + problem or something similair and chances are someone has asked the same questions

The greatest thing about linux is that the community support is mind blowing, and you can almost always find someone who has had the same issue solved for them by someone else.

If you have no luck there though it might be worth trying a different linux distribution - theyre all free bar the download time anyway, but they tend to come packaged with different drivers etc depending on the market that they are aimed at

If you download the live cd/dvd version you can just boot it off of the cd to check that itll work before the install (itll be slower obviously since it is doing it all on the fly from the cd rather than the hdd, but you dont need to install anything at all) - for a beginner i would definitely also recommend openSUSE and Knoppix (which has the best driver support etc on the live cd IMO) as possible alternatives to ubuntu. Although knoppix has a tendancy to default to German language lol

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i never was aat windows with this computer, its the first computer ive ever put together and ive never ever ever installed Windows. hopfully if i can get the internet for it i can get the drivers online easily-hopfully.

OK, i took my linux system downstairs to connect it to the internet, i go to System~administration~hardware drivers and click to enable the nvidia accelerated driver. it then goes to download the drivers which i supose are from the internet. it then comes up with an error message saying could not fetch such an such file,

i did trey to print screen these but when i tried to upload the print screens it would say "upload failed. you are not permitted to upload this type of file"

im comitted to trying to solve this, i have checked other places and stuff to try and find the answers but i cant find anything thats working.

please help

stuff this ive had enough, can someone tell me how to delete ubuntu and all the files off of my computer, i dont know what im going to do i just know i cant stand this any more!

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!! IVE DONE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I MANAGED TO GET THE ACCELERATED DRIVER GOING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!ATLEAST I ASSUME SO ANYWAY. THERE IS NOW A BIG FACT GREEN TICK NEXT TO NVDIA ACCELERATED GRAPHICS DRIVER. THANKS EVERYONE FOR REPLYING AND TRYING TO HELP. SPEAKING OF WHICH, NOW I HAVE THIS DRIVER GOING OR SOME SORT OF DRIVER ANYWAY, IS ANYTHING ELCE I SHOULD INSTALL???