True 120 Extreme And My Idle/load Temps On An E8400

Nephilumos

Okay here's the issue, I've gotten my E8400 up to 3.8Ghz on a Thermalright ultra 120 extreme but the idle/load temps on the 2 cores are pretty drastically different.

Here's what they are when idle:

idlexb1.jpg

And here's what they are under load:

loadnk7.jpg

I've tried repositioning the HS many many times. I've reapplied my AS Ceramique just as many times. I'm beginning to think one of the sensors is stuck but I don't even now where to being finding out which one it is...

Anyone got any ideas?

The TRUE is known for not being flat. Lap it and it will certainly help. :)

Do you think that would get rid of the temp difference by that much? Also, My TRUE wasn't warped at all when I looked at it. It was actually very, very reflective and flat....kinda as if it was already lapped lol...but, if there aren't any other suggestions, that my be what I'm going to end up doing.

Well ccokeman, I haven't taken a level to it, but I'm applying almost the exact same amount that graysky did on his c2q in his guide. and because I wasn't sure about the HS I applied the same there as well because the intructions with the HS said to do so.

Also, I'm moreor less addressing the difference in temp between the 2 cores (just in case the question wasn't fully understood ^.^)

Edited by nitem4re

I usually run a line down the center of the cores and rarely have an issue. Do you have the screws run in to the stops? the screws have a positive stop shoulder are you tightened all the way down. Where your temps this disparate with a stock cooler?

The TRUE is known for not being flat. Lap it and it will certainly help. :)

I have the silver version (brandnew and forsale) and a recently installed "true black". neither are flat to a straight edge out of the package. I lapped the black one I have. and to tell you the truth I wish they would leave the :angry2: dang nickle coating off so I didn't have to spend 3hrs sanding it off. not exactly the most fun thing to try and steady to lap either. Thats my only complaint about there product. and they don't make a bracket so you can turn it 90degrees on AMD platforms. sorry to rant in your thread.

it will help to lap it. And your processor also if you really want to hit what your going to. It will not guarantee your success but it will help.

Do you think that would get rid of the temp difference by that much? Also, My TRUE wasn't warped at all when I looked at it. It was actually very, very reflective and flat....kinda as if it was already lapped lol...but, if there aren't any other suggestions, that my be what I'm going to end up doing.

It may seem flat, but the best way to know is to test with somthing you know is straight, like a razor blade. The purpose of lapping is not to make the HS shiny, but to make it flat. Well of course if you use a fine grit sandpaper it will get shiny, but this is not the main goal.