Opinions, Advice, & Suggestions On Upgrades

wamason

Hello all, I've been out of the loop for quite some time now, and am looking to upgrade an old rig of mine. It's been in mothballs since I bought a notebook two years ago, and now that I'm using it again, it's showing age.

I don't really care for overclocking anymore, so I'm looking for stable components that will perform at stock speeds. Don't really care about SLI or Crossfire either, so I'll be using one GPU. I haven't had much time to research lately, but here's what I've come up with

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 (Wolfdale core @ 3.16GHz) <-- Part of a mobo/processor combo. ($300 I think)

Mobo: Asus P5Q Pro (P45)

RAM: 2GB (2x 1GB)OCZ Reaper HPC Edition PC28500

GPU: MSI 260GTX OC 896MB

I'm planning to use my existing DVD burners, hard drives (2x WD 200GB) PSU (OCZ modstream 520 watt), and a run of the mill chieftec tower case. If there are any problems power-wise with using my existing PSU, I'd appreciate any input on that as well.

Thanks in advance!

I just did a build with that processor and almost that same mobo, I used a P5Q-E.

Are you going ot use a 64 bit OS? If so, I would go ahead and get a 2 X 4 GB RAM kit. You should be able to find one for only $30-40 more. I personally went with the G.Skill. I would almost say go ahead and do the 4 GB anyway, even if you aren't going with 64-bit OS.

I just did a build with that processor and almost that same mobo, I used a P5Q-E.

Are you going ot use a 64 bit OS? If so, I would go ahead and get a 2 X 4 GB RAM kit. You should be able to find one for only $30-40 more. I personally went with the G.Skill. I would almost say go ahead and do the 4 GB anyway, even if you aren't going with 64-bit OS.

I had considered going with 4GB, but I don't ever see myself upgrading to Vista, or even XP64, soo....

I'll check out the RAM you recommend. Thanks!

Hi, you mite want to use a 550W PSU or higher for the GPU, 520 mite not be enough.

It's enough for that setup. The E8500 isnt power hungry at all, and it's a good PSU. I've personally run my edit rig with my 4870 in it gaming with no issues and that's running a slightly lower end 500w PSU (Factor in the extra HDDs for work, and the mild OC on the older quad and I see no issues)

The biggest change I would make is moving to an EVGA video card just because of their excellent service. Something that I've come to realize is 100% worth a few extra $$ now vs putting up with BS when you're having big problems.

That was part of the reason I went with MSI--having good experiences with their CS and RMA. I've had similar experiences with eVGA as well. It was one of the first 260's I pulled up on newegg, I knew the brand, so I went with it. :)

I second the bit about modstreams being good PSU's. I currently have two, one running a file server, and the other in this dinosaur, and they've been running fine for years.