Fan/heatshrink For Q6600 & P5q Pro

camcafe

Hello,

I have Q6600 processor with stock fan/heatshrink and Asus P5Q Pro motherboard. Would like to know which fan/heatshrink recommended so I can have stable OC at least to 3.4GHZ? Thanks

TRUE ftw! (Thermalright Ultra Extreme)

seems to be this HS is the best you can get, and lots of people will tell you to get a super-fan for it, but i've found that any 120mm fan that has decent air moving capabilities >70cfm should be good enough. if you really don't care aobut noise the Ultra Kaze blows lots of air 133cfm if i'm not mistaken. but i would use the Ultras for case air flow, not so much for the heatsink. (think video card cooling)

Im using TRUE black with an ultra kaze pulling in air on the front. My idle temps are 37-40C and ive never seen load temps go beyond 58C and that was after an hour stress test. So in short load temps are ever bit of spectacular on a TRUE. Thats a 3.6 OC too. I had an issue with the backplate touching something on the back of mobo and shorting it out. So i wrapped the backplate in some electrical tape and the issue seems fixed so far.

Edited by bg8780

The Thermalright ultra 120 extreme is a great cooler, although if you want a cooler that competes with the TRUE for almost half the price, the Xigmatek HDT-S1283 is another great choice.

Air movement is limited with a TRUE if you use a blaster high rpm fan because the fins are so tightly spaced. The air is actually just bouncing off. A lower RPM fan like a NOCTUA or some other quality 9 blader is what you need. The air moves slowly and consistently thru the cooler.

Thermalright is as good as it gets, CPU air cooler-wise.

Currently I am using the TR HR01`Plus on my Q6600. Fanless, it idles 45-47C. With fan, it idles lower 30s with 60C load temperature.

I used the Tuniq Tower for a year and it did a great job, once I added an external fan. Great dual core cooler but not so great with a Quad.

I have also tested the TRUE on the Q6600.

The TRUE and the HR01 Plus are tit-for-tat cooling wise on that CPU. I like the HR01 Plus better because it takes up abit less space. I also like the cooling fin spacing better.