Help Getting My Q9400 Past 3.80 Ghz...please :)

TRWeiss1

I would try to give the RAM a bit more voltage before changing anything else. You were right, 5-5-5-18 is already set by your board, which is about as loose as you want it for DDR2, otherwise it gets unstable there as well. Try a DRAM voltage of up to about 2.25Vs :)

Thanks for the fast replies guys! I've only been on this forum for a short time (obviously), but it seems that a lot of people have a great attitude around here and are very helpful. :)

I appreciate the help, and I'm checking out that mobo link as we speak...

Well, it still appears that I can't get this CPU any faster, even after the new memory. :( What CPU would you guys recommend for this board to get to 4.0 GHz?

Edited by TRWeiss1

Ok, so I'm sitting here pondering this and am trying to determine exactly what is limiting me from going further. If it was the motherboard, what *exactly* is limiting me on the board? Is it the chipset? BIOS?

I would think that I must be getting a heat spike somewhere, and this could be causing my crash, but my temps suggest otherwise. Would it still be worthwhile upping my new RAM (1066) voltage to 2.25v, even though it's running slower than the advertised 1066MHz? I would think the auto setting for voltage control would be ok now, since I'm theoretically not pushing the memory.

Again, my system is rock solid at 3.78GHz, but as soon as I hit 3.79 or higher I encounter instability. The most common thing is that it just flat out locks up in Prime95 now...No restart, no Prime95 crash...Entire PC just freezes until I do a hard reset.

I'd love to get to the bottom of what is limiting me, if it is not heat (which I really don't think it is...I keep a sharp eye on temps, and nothing has me concerned at this point). I'd think it *has* to be RAM or perhaps the chipset...I guess I'm just trying to determine exactly what'd cause instability besides heat...Of course everything has its limit, and maybe I've reached that with this combination of hardware...Though I hope that's not the case.

Thoughts?

Edited by TRWeiss1

Ok, so I'm sitting here pondering this and am trying to determine exactly what is limiting me from going further. If it was the motherboard, what *exactly* is limiting me on the board? Is it the chipset? BIOS?

I would think that I must be getting a heat spike somewhere, and this could be causing my crash, but my temps suggest otherwise. Would it still be worthwhile upping my new RAM (1066) voltage to 2.25v, even though it's running slower than the advertised 1066MHz? I would think the auto setting for voltage control would be ok now, since I'm theoretically not pushing the memory.

Again, my system is rock solid at 3.78GHz, but as soon as I hit 3.79 or higher I encounter instability. The most common thing is that it just flat out locks up in Prime95 now...No restart, no Prime95 crash...Entire PC just freezes until I do a hard reset.

I'd love to get to the bottom of what is limiting me, if it is not heat (which I really don't think it is...I keep a sharp eye on temps, and nothing has me concerned at this point). I'd think it *has* to be RAM or perhaps the chipset...I guess I'm just trying to determine exactly what'd cause instability besides heat...Of course everything has its limit, and maybe I've reached that with this combination of hardware...Though I hope that's not the case.

Thoughts?

You might try going up on your northbridge voltage, and see if it is that. as long as your temp on your north bridge is ok. I was reading about this one guy that had to go to 1.56 to get his fsb stable with a quad. You might also have a dead spot in your front side bus. where it is not stable but if you go up 10 more it will become stable. but first id try upping the north bridge voltage.

Yep, you're absolutely right! :)

On another note, I just dl'd and installed the latest version of ATi Tray Tools, and some very interesting things happened...Firstly, as one might expect, it was competing with CCC over control of my video cards. Through Tray Tools I backed the clocks down to factory settings (750/900), then OC'd it back to 800/900 through Tray Tools.

The next time I fired up GRID it was running 150 FPS! I ran for about 15 minutes, and then the computer crashed and I was forced to restart. Thinking about things, my best guess is that CCC was fighting with Tray Tools. I disliked the instability, and therefore uninstalled ATi Tray Tools...Yet much to my surprise, after I uninstalled Tray Tools my system was still running MUCH higher FPS. What exactly did Tray Tools do, even after I completely uninstalled it (along with the profiles)? My best guess is that it optimized x-fire better for these cards, and/or optimized the way the card pages to memory.

What are your thoughts? In the FEAR benchmark I am averaging 205 FPS with EVERYTHING maxed @ 1680x1050...Max FPS was 555, min was 85. What did Tray Tools change, and why would it remain even after I uninstalled it?

Edit :: One thing I did notice was that now my main video card is running colder, so perhaps CCC wasn't controlling the fan speed of BOTH cards? It's running ridiculously now!

Edited by TRWeiss1