Q9550 & P5e3 Oc

RealSnaD

Hello guys! I am a beginner in OCing. I just put my new system together and want it to run at 3.6 stable 24/7. I've played around with BIOS settings and I can get into Windows but Prime (large FFTs) gives me errors right away. Would you please help me on this one?

My system configuration is listed in my signature as it is now.

Screen_1.jpg

Ai Tweaker:

IMG_8518.jpg

IMG_8519.jpg

IMG_8520.jpg

Advanced CPU settings:

IMG_8521.jpg

might be the ram. what voltage you running it at?

will check better when i get home on ddr3 1333 and timings. but in my experience if small works and large doesnt, ram isnt fully stable <_<

RAM is running at 1.68. It would be great if you could check the timings and voltage on yours.

• 1 year later...

I've got nearly the same rig set-up as you.

Have you gotten any more help or pointers?

>Rig setup<

Case : Antec 902

Mobo : Asus P5E3 Pro Bios Ver 0505

CPU : Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 Yorkfield 2.83

Mem : G.Skill Ripjaws 4GB DDR3 1600 Doubled for a total of 8 GB

Video : Sapphire Vapor-X Radeon HD 5770

HDD Primary : Western Digital 250GB Sata 2

HDD Secondary : Western Digital 120GB ATA-100

Optical Drive : LG DVD Burner

Liquid Cooling : Thermaltake Bigwater 760 is

Power Supply : Thermaltake PurePower TWV 500

CPU voltage is at 1.35. And I don't really like the temps. I'd rather leave CPU voltage where it is. 1.3625 is the max I can go.

I am gonna raise RAM voltage.

1.31vcore seems a bit weak for the 425 fsb. might wanna bump that up a bit....and 1.3625 is the intel spec not the max you can go... i'm having this same mobo (p5e3 pro x48) shipped to me this week so i will get to check it out first hand in a few days with ripjaw 1333 and a q6600. i guarantee the q6600 is gonna take 1.45-1.5 vcore at least to hit 3.2ghz. the first thing is to stabilize the ram and then push the cpu. granted your q9550 is a different animal but it's gonna need more voltage to reach those higher speeds. 1700 fsb is a pretty fast link for that mobo. have you raised the north bridge voltage any? if you bump up the vcore a little at a time and keep rechecking with prime 95 you'll find out what works..lastly good cooling is a must for overclocking, your temps seem to be getting up there so you may want to wait and get a better hs/fan before driving that cpu much harder.

good luck with that

cj :D

kwik edit: afterthought...if you were to drop the fsb down to 400/1600 your temps will drop some and the system will get more stable.