• I wasn't effected.
    • White Rabbit isn't that a cute bunny

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Melamine production and use in China

Melamine is commonly produced from urea, mainly by either catalyzed gas-phase production or high pressure liquid-phase production, and is soluble in water. Melamine is used combined with formaldehyde to produce melamine resin, a very durable thermosetting plastic, and melamine foam, a polymeric cleaning product. The end products include counter-tops, fabrics, glues and flame retardants. Occasionally, melamine-formaldehyde resin is added to gluten for non-food purposes, such as adhesives[31] or fabric printing. [32]

Melamine is also a byproduct of several pesticides, including cyromazine.[33] The Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) of the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) provides a test method for analyzing cyromazine and melamine in animal tissues in its Chemistry Laboratory Guidebook which "contains test methods used by FSIS Laboratories to support the Agency's inspection program, ensuring that meat, poultry, and egg products are safe, wholesome and accurately labeled."[34][35] In 1999, in a proposed rule published in the Federal Register regarding cyromazine residue, the United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) proposed "remov[ing] melamine, a metabolite of cyromazine from the tolerance expression since it is no longer considered a residue of concern."[36]

Melamine production in China has also been reported as using coal as raw material.[6] This production has been described as also producing "melamine scrap" which is not "pure melamine but impure melamine scrap that is sold more cheaply as the waste product after melamine is produced by chemical and fertilizer factories here."[37] Shandong Mingshui Great Chemical Group, the company reported by the New York Times as producing melamine from coal, produces and sells both urea and melamine but does not list melamine resin as a product.[38] Melamine production in China has increased greatly in recent years and was described as in "serious surplus" in 2006 .[39] In the United States Geological Survey 2004 Minerals Survey Yearbook, in a report on worldwide nitrogen production, the author stated that "China continued to plan and construct new ammonia and urea plants using coal gasification technology."[40]

As per melamine synthesis, the off-gas in production contains large amounts of ammonia. Therefore melamine production is often integrated into urea production which uses ammonia as feedstock. Crystallization and washing of melamine generates a considerable amount of waste water, which is a pollutant if discharged directly into the environment. The waste water may be concentrated into a solid (1.5-5% of the weight) for easier disposal. The solid may contain approximately 70% melamine, 23% oxytriazines (ammeline, ammelide and cyanuric acid), 0.7% polycondensates (melem, melam and melon). [41]

Why would anybody in the right mind eat anything imported from China? I'd avoid it at all cost.

I don't know about that although I am half chinese (dad's from shanghai) but these ones taste good and they are imported from korea:

508946391_a631ea6737.jpg

Anyone try these I actually found them in the chinese grocery store near my house

Well, for one thing, China has two different government organizations responsible for checking the nation's food supply. One is for the general population and the other one, which supposedly follows the highest standards, is for government officials and their families. Sounds kinda odd to me.